cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleted folders keep reappearing

Deleted folders keep reappearing

Adam L.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm hoping someone can help with this problem. I have been using Dropbox for a few years across a number of devices (2 desktop Macs, a laptop, an iPhone and an iPad). This last week, when I try to delete a folder it reappears a moment later. If I move it into another folder, the same thing happens. I have checked and all my other devices are switched off or not trying to sync while I am doing this. Any advice on how to stop it?

Thanks!

83 Replies 83

davidmatos
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I was having a related issue with a file (not folder) on my iPhone: even after permanent deletion on the website, the file kept showing on the phone's 'Recents' and any attempt to delete it generated a 'Deletion Failed' message. @travel r. suggestion did the trick: uploading a new file with the exact same name of the problematic one forced a clean sync and solved the issue.

G C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had this problem, tried a couple of the suggestions near the top of this list to no avail (but did clear out a lot of devices and apps that didn't need to be linked anymore via the website). I then thought I would try deleting the problematic folder from the website itself and bango...all gone. Noticed that a bit futher down this list Coe I. mentioned this working for him as well.

Moris C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

OK, but what if we are sharing between a coulpe of colleagues? Whenever I try to delete or rename a file/folder it reappears from someone else' computer?

Do you think dropbo business solve this issue?

Ziaul H.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Easy solution here 🙂

Just delete it form the browser! (Not from the local app!)

Easy!!

Casey K.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Ziaul I think your solution is a good one if the folder/item is showing in the browser.  In my case it it not.  I have a folder that keeps getting put on my computer from Dropbox. . . and when go to Dropbox using the internet browser this folder is not where to be found.  I know Dropbox is putting it on my computer because if I exit dropbox. . . then delete the folder off my computer it will not come back.  The minute I re-connect dropbox, the folder re-appears (even though it is not showing as a folder in my dropbox at all).

Ziaul H.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Casey Sometimes if the folder is empty, it re-appears even after you delete it. My suggestion is that try adding some docs in the folder and then delete it, if that is the case otherwise!

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Add the folder to the cloud via the web browser, then once all is in sync delete it, if all parts think it exists, then all parts should be happy to remove it at once.

rivory
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the problem of folders reappearing moments after I try to delete or move them. They have files in them already, but just in case, I added another. They still reappear. 😞

rivory
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Did not work for me. The only devises that show are accurate.

maxfactor
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have had the same issue.

The problem was that the folder on Dropbox (web) contained a file that not existed in the folder on my pc (because of an old selective sync).

I have manually deleted that file from the web and then I have succesfully deleted the folder from the pc (without it being reappeared).

P.S.: you could argue that selective sync doesn't work on single files, but it is not completely true...

Need more support?