Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

7 Comments
3 Likes
Highlighted
Level 3

Deleting "instance2" from the Dropbox cache folder

I have a both an instance1 and instance2 folder within my invisible .dropbox folder.  The files within instance2 have a most recent modification date of April 2018, while the files within instance1 are current.

Can I safely delete the instance2 folder?  It will save many GB of space.

7 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: deleting instance2 folder?

Hey there @camner - nice question you got there!

From what I understand, the issue you are experiencing is related to the Dropbox cache folder on your computer. Let me give you some more context on this and note that if your desktop app shows "Up to date" ( so you're fully synced), then you can clear your computer's cache memory (.dropbox folder)

Moreover, note that we keep a cache of files hidden in your Dropbox for efficiency and emergency purposes. You can use these steps to clear the cache. This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder and will also free up space in your hard drive should you be "Up to date" as aforementioned. 

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any more questions! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Thanks for your quick reply.

When I followed the link to clear your computer's cache memory (.dropbox folder), the info there seemed to say that the cache is an invisible folder called .dropbox.cache, which is an immediate child of the Dropbox folder (which is visible), and is NOT the same as the .dropbox folder which is an immediate child of my main user folder.

Or, put differently, there is this path:  ~\username\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache. <--that is the cache folder, I think

Then there is THIS path: ~\username\.dropbox. <--that is NOT the cache, I think

So, I'm a little hesitant to delete the second folder or any of its contents without knowing more than I do about what the implications of deleting that folder would be.

Dropboxer

You are correct @camner. The .dropbox is the cache folder while the other one is your computer's Dropbox Folder location. 

As mentioned, if your app is not showing "Up to date" yet, I would suggest that you kept that folder as well. It will clear itself after 3 days automatically. 

Let me know if there's something I can clarify for you. 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

I contacted DB support and was told that whenever there is a “unlink/relink” event, DB creates a new “instance” folder within the invisible .dropbox folder. This “instance” folder contains the sigstore.dbx file which typically gets reasonably large. Apparently when one unlink/relinks, DB does NOT delete the former “instance” folder. I was told that since the old “instance” folder was not currently in use, it could be deleted safely, which is what I did.
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @camner!

happy to hear you managed to resolve your concerns in the end!

For a little more context now, let me add that when you unlink your account from a computer you use, the Dropbox folder itself is still there. If you relink to a different Dropbox account, the application will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'.

If on one hand, you want your new Dropbox folder to be in a location different than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'.  If you, on the other hand, want your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking.

Thanks for using Dropbox and have a lovely day ahead!

Walter

Level 2

You did everything *but* answer OP question, but I guess I'm nit-picking.  I, too, have a large sigstore.dbx (but only 1 instance).  I recently went from your 1 TB plan to free version (found Sync to offer twice the storage at half the price... hint).  So, I now would like to compress the sigstore.dbx file.

Again, this is what the OP asked, so I don't hold great faith in getting an answer to this.  Guess I'll delete and see what happens...

Level 3

FWIW, I deleted the old "instance" folder with no adverse consequences, whatsoever.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Syncing and uploads.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post