cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Submit your story to win a $25 Amazon gift card and a Dropbox hoodie! Ends Nov. 16
Known issues updated Learn more
3 Comments
4 Likes
Highlighted
Level 2

Desktop files not syncing

The actual files and shortcuts on my desktop are not syncing.  The desktop folder in my Dropbox folder shows synced, but if I add a file to my desktop, it doesn't sync this folder.  There are no green check marks on anything on my desktop. All folders in my Dropbox folder are syncing, just not desktop. This worked on an old computer which I had to replace, but not on the new one. 

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Super User

Re: Desktop files not syncing

Hey @austinstephens, Generally speaking Desktop folder is not synced by Dropbox app. Dropbox folder is just like any other folder in your computer, whatever you save inside this folder, that data is synced to the Dropbox cloud and any other connected devices. 

By default the Desktop folder in not inside the Dropbox folder, so it cannot sync. However, you may move your Desktop folder to Dropbox manually to make sync possible. I am guessing you are using Windows operating system. First rename the existing Desktop folder inside your Dropbox folder to Desktop_old (or anything you like other than Desktop), because I think the Desktop folder currently inside your Dropbox folder not the actual Desktop folder that Winodws uses.

Next go to your Desktop folder in Windows Explorer. It should be in C:\Users\UserName. Right click the Desktop folder, and choose Properties. 

2018-07-11 at 11.18 PM.png

Then go to the Location tab, and choose Move

2018-07-11 at 11.21 PM.png

Now select the location of your Dropbox folder. 

2018-07-11 at 11.25 PM.png

By doing so, you should be able to move your Windows Desktop folder inside the Dropbox folder. Now, everything you put in the Desktop should sync with Dropbox. Later move the files/folders from the Desktop_old folder to your actual Desktop if you like. 

3 Replies
Level 10

there @Re: Desktop files not syncing

Hey there @austinstephens - how are you today?

I can't think of a way this can be done at the moment. How exactly did you accomplish that in the past? 

I believe this is best addressed here -- do let me know what you find.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you like my answer?                                                                            Sounds like a solution?

Kudos are welcome      Notes                                                                      Mark it as one then   White check mark

Super User

Hey @austinstephens, Generally speaking Desktop folder is not synced by Dropbox app. Dropbox folder is just like any other folder in your computer, whatever you save inside this folder, that data is synced to the Dropbox cloud and any other connected devices. 

By default the Desktop folder in not inside the Dropbox folder, so it cannot sync. However, you may move your Desktop folder to Dropbox manually to make sync possible. I am guessing you are using Windows operating system. First rename the existing Desktop folder inside your Dropbox folder to Desktop_old (or anything you like other than Desktop), because I think the Desktop folder currently inside your Dropbox folder not the actual Desktop folder that Winodws uses.

Next go to your Desktop folder in Windows Explorer. It should be in C:\Users\UserName. Right click the Desktop folder, and choose Properties. 

2018-07-11 at 11.18 PM.png

Then go to the Location tab, and choose Move

2018-07-11 at 11.21 PM.png

Now select the location of your Dropbox folder. 

2018-07-11 at 11.25 PM.png

By doing so, you should be able to move your Windows Desktop folder inside the Dropbox folder. Now, everything you put in the Desktop should sync with Dropbox. Later move the files/folders from the Desktop_old folder to your actual Desktop if you like. 

Level 2

Perfect @Elixir! That does it. I was trying to copy instead of Move!  One note: once you rename the old desktop folder in Dropbox, you should create a new blank desktop folder there.  Move doesn't move the folder, but the files within it. So all files from the desktop are moved to this new desktop folder. Thanks!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Syncing and uploads.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post