Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Disappearing files, failed login

Level 7

I have an installation of Windows 10, including Dropbox, that I had not used for over a year.  When I went back to Windows 10, it did an enormous amount of updating.  That might be relevant to my Dropbox problem.

When I looked at my local Dropbox folder on this machine, I found it was missing a lot of files and directories.  One suspicious thing: among the missing (top-level) folders) were all those whose names started with letters before D.  In other words, the first folder that showed up was Documents.  Among the missing folders were Accounting and Android Snapshots.

Thinking it might help, I removed the Dropbox app and tried to reinstall it.  But when I got to the prompt for my name and password, they were not recognized, even though I could still use them to log in online.

How can I recover my local Dropbox folders, while still being able to avoid reloading the ones I don't need locally by using selective sync?

1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: Disappearing files, failed login

Super User

Hello Paul A.25

first off,  user and password are not really necessary for the Dropbox Client to sync since it's authorized by a token,  This happens when first installed.  It's quite possible that the password or login info has changed in the past year but the Client still kept the token.  I would suggest making sure you remove Dropbox completely then reinstall.  If you want to save the Dropbox folder for later use, you can do that by just renaming the folder to something different (this is after quitting Dropbox Client first).  Do what this article says to do https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/uninstall-dropbox

1. Search Control Panel at the Start screen and select it.
  2. Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
  3. Select Dropbox from the list of programs.
  4. Click Uninstall.
  5. Restart your computer to complete the uninstall.

Then once you accomplished this, reinstall the client.  It would seem to me that you would want what the latest in Dropbox Servers to downloaded to your computer.  I would let this happen then compare the old folder to the new and add what you want.

The only way to get Selective Sync to work properly is the have the files selected in Dropbox Preferences.

As far as failed login attempts, just make sure the login info is correct.

I hope this helps and if it doesn't report back here and we will work toward a solution.

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Disappearing files, failed login
1 Reply
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution