cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox app android won't upload till app is opened

Dropbox app android won't upload till app is opened

Paul K.11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello,

With my samsung S9 running on android 8.0.0 my dropbox app only uploads the pictures when I open the app.

Before it was uploading always.

53 Replies 53

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey guys ( @NathDM  & @Paul K.11 ) - sorry to hear about this.

Now, in regards to the matter at hand, kindly note that if you’re manually uploading files using the “+” (plus) button, uploads will only run while the app is in the foreground (in other words, it’s the app you’re actively looking at).

On the other hand, if you're using Camera Uploads to automatically upload photos from Camera Roll to Dropbox, you may need to turn on “Background Uploading " depending on your device. This allows your photos and videos to continue uploading even if you don’t have the app open. This is how:
1. Open the Dropbox app.
2. Tap the "Home" tab.
3. Tap the gear icon.
4. Select “Camera Uploads.”
5. Toggle "Background Uploading" to "on." (Or, if it's already set to "on," toggle the setting off and then on again.)

Please note: If you do not see the gear icon on this main page, first click on the icon on the bottom right of the app that says “Account”, “Personal” or your Dropbox Business name. You should see the gear icon on this account page. 

Keep me posted with any updates please!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Paul K.11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
It was set to auto upload when battery is above 10 percent. There is not an option to switch it on or off. You can only switch it to when telephone is charging. So I switched that option on and off again. I will see if this helps. Thanks.

Pannedout
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm having the same issues as Paul K.11 

And I agree setting is for upload when battery is above...... No other option

Still having issues. Do you have a solution please? 

Thanks 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you tried turning it off and on again @Pannedout ? 

If you did and still don't see any change, would it be OK if I reached out via email to your Dropbox associated address to have a better look into this with all of my tools available? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Pannedout
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter No problem, please go-ahead.

Yes I have tried On-Off 

Camera only sync's when the App is physically opened. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information @Pannedout  - much appreciated!

From what I gather so far, the issue you are seeing maybe due to a feature on newer Samsung OS versions called App Optimization. It is designed to freeze applications that are deemed to be untouched by the user and may interfere with some background services.  You may find this setting following these steps:
  1. Go to your system (not Dropbox's!) settings (most likely a gear icon on the notification shade)
  2. Tap on "Battery" (found under System category) for Android 7.0/ "Apps & Notifications" on Android 8.0
  3. Find "App optimization" section and tap on detail on Android 7.0/ "App Info" on Android 8.0
  4. Find Dropbox in the list and tap on it - same for all OS.
  5. Change the option to "Disabled for"/Tap on "Battery" , then "Battery Optimization" (if needed) and then "Background Activity". Toggle it off and on again. 

Furthermore, if for any reason you accidentally set your mobile app to "Always Sleeping App" you should disable it. Here is how to check:

1. Go to Settings

2. Device Maintenance

3. Battery

4. Always Sleeping Apps. 

Should our mobile app show up there then press and hold to delete from the list.

Let me know if this did the trick for you please. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Pannedout
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter 

Thanks for the information. Had a look on the phone and regretfully the options you describe are not on the latest version of Android on Samsung.

I am running Android 9 Pie 

I have changed the settings within Battery Usage to "High Performace Mode"  In an attempt to resolve the issue. I cant seem to locate a setting where you are able to change individual apps to different performance settings. 

Please let me know if you find a location for this. 

Thanks. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Even though I'm not an expert on Android devices here's what I found after a web search on this @Pannedout:

This is how to check that battery optimization is on /off for each app:
  • Open your device's Settings app .
  • Tap Apps & notifications Advanced Special app access Battery optimization.
  • If an app is listed as “Not optimized,” tap the app Optimize Done and vice versa if needed. 

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

808mic
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have this problem on Samsung Galaxy S10e phone.  I have performed ALL of the recommended tasks and yet when I open Auto-Sync in settings,  the Dropbox app says "Sync off for all items" .

Additionaly when I click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner (settings options) the "Sync Now" option is grayed out, meaning I cannot even activate a sync manually.

Oddly, some items are syncing.

Uploads are turned on in the Dropbox all as well.  Dropbox is NOT set to sleep on the phone.

What now?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @808mic - sorry to ask but are you having an issue with the camera uploads feature on your Android device or on a computer when using our mobile app? 

I'm only asking because you mentioned an "Auto-Sync" option and I'm not familiar with it; could you post  a screenshot perhaps? 

If you could include the steps you take to do this as well, that'd be very helpful. 

It goes without saying that any additional information will be much appreciated too!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?