cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Can't move dropbox file location.

Can't move dropbox file location.

JanK
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Instructions to move dropbox file location don't work. There is no "click sync then click move" option under the dropbox tray gear icon on Windows 10. I need to get the default  location which is on an SSD boot drive moved to a larger drive.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JanK
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you so much. It worked great but the instructions on the dropbox website (pasted below) are wrong. It says for Windows, to select the gear icon first, then sync. I'm sure you knew what they were trying to say but we old engineers tend to be very literal. Thanks again.

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray or menu bar.
  • Click Preferences (Linux), or the gear icon (macOS and Windows)
  • Click Sync (on macOS youā€™ll first need to click Preferencesā€¦).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The instructions are accurate, even on Windows 10.

Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray. The app window will open. In the top-right corner you'll see either the gear or your avatar icon. Click that and select Preferences. Alternatively, you can CTRL-left click the Dropbox icon in the system tray and select Preferences (this is the legacy menu).

Once you have Preferences open, select the Sync tab and you'll see a section labeled Dropbox folder location. Click the Move button to select a new location for the Dropbox folder.

JanK
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you so much. It worked great but the instructions on the dropbox website (pasted below) are wrong. It says for Windows, to select the gear icon first, then sync. I'm sure you knew what they were trying to say but we old engineers tend to be very literal. Thanks again.

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray or menu bar.
  • Click Preferences (Linux), or the gear icon (macOS and Windows)
  • Click Sync (on macOS youā€™ll first need to click Preferencesā€¦).

RJM-W
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's actually the three lines at the top left-hand side, then Preferences then syn, then "Dropbox file location"

holpol1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This message isn't about moving files it's about moving folders.  I have a mac.   I just want to move a file from one folder to the other. If I try to copy and paste, it jsut makes another copy in the orginal folder that i want to move from!  There's no drag or drop.  I even tried moving it back to finder and then moving it back to the right folder and it keeps going to the wrong one!  

Ro R.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just wondering if you found a solution? I have the same problem, I can't move files or folders with dropbox, they duplicate.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @holpol1 & @Ro R.; sorry for the late response.

Can you please let us know if you're still having issues with copying or moving files within your Dropbox folder on your computers? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Ro R. New member | Level 2
    holpol1 New member | Level 2
    RJM-W New member | Level 2
    JanK Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?