cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Did you know you can get an answer in less than 2 hours? Try asking a question now!
729 Comments
667 Likes
Level 2

EXT4 support ends?

Can someone (from Dropbox if they have the time) tell me if ext4 support is ending in November or not, and if so why?? I have been a dropbox plus subscriber since it came out, only got it so I can share files across a few platforms easily and manage them easily. If it's been supported for so long what is the actual point in removing support now.

Please can I have a concrete answer as I am a paying customer

Level 5

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Now seriously Dropbox, we're Linux users here.

Have you ever heard of Linux users changing their mind about their technical choices for OS or filesystem juste because the XYZ application is not available there or stops supporting this environment ? Seriously ?

Can you figure out what Linux users are going to drop ? Think twice.

Level 7

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

"@Swâmi PetaramesCan you figure out what Linux users are going to drop ?"

I'm already running SyncThing between a Linux box and an old Windows XP machine (needed because it's needed).  I don't suppose it would be too much of a heartache to roll SyncThing out across my other Linux boxes instead of DropBox.  I'm certainly not going back to Window$ just to keep DropBox happy.

Highlighted
Super User II

@Gerry_Baby - I'd suggest looking a ticket for that as its an account specific enquiry. People here are unfortnately unable to help. 

You can do it via www.dropbox.com/support and then track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

@ben32 - the only way you are likely to get any sort of reply is via a ticket. Whenever they've done things like this before (and on much larger scales) they've never ever engaged in discussions over it other than the initial post/help article and emails. 

You can do it via www.dropbox.com/support and then track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

@Swâmi Petarames - as above I've never known them ever change their mind. They will have looked already how many users they are likely to lose (both free and paying) and worked out how much revenue its going to cost. Cynical me also says the wont be too worried about losing free users who are ultimately costing them money without generating revenue. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

I tried Mark that url just takes me to the help center landing page, created account, blank page.

Level 7

I've never known them ever change their mind. They will have looked already how many users they are likely to lose (both free and paying) and worked out how much revenue its going to cost. Cynical me also says the wont be too worried about losing free users who are ultimately costing them money without generating revenue. 

Mark, thank you for that warning.  That gives us a good few weeks to get on with finding alternatives.

Super User II

@ben32 - from that page (it is help centre landing one) it should list all of the options to get assistance that are available to you. If it isnt maybe try a different browser. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

thanks man but i think i will just sit back and watch the **bleep**storm, doubt they will change their minds because of me

Level 2

p.s did i miss some official comm about this?!

Level 2

As other's have noted many Linux FS support x-attrs. I use XFS.

This makes no technical sense. Only conclusion is that your marketing team wants to slough off your Linux users but doesn't have the courage to admit that.

Syncing and uploads

Welcome! If you have a question about Dropbox, you’re in the right place

Post your question or search for an answer, the community is here to help

Not looking for support? Explore other features of Dropbox

Learn more about the community