cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Did you know you can get an answer in less than 2 hours? Try asking a question now!
729 Comments
667 Likes
Highlighted
zq Level 2
Level 2

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Dropbox, can you at least disclose the real reason behind your choice? Do you have too many support requests for these precise FS? Is it just part of a bigger plan to completely drop Linux support? It would be nicer to be transparent, so that your day-1 users can know what this is all about. Also, it would be even nicer to give us more that 2 months to migrate our provider and workflow rather than taking us by surprise.

As proven earlier, xattrs is definitely not an argument, and BTRFS and XFS can't be considered as esoteric filesystems on Linux machines anymore. APFS is only 2 years old, why are you keeping support for it while dropping XFS and BTRFS which are 13 and 5 years old? I've been using BTRFS for years with Dropbox without noticing any issue. Why do you even care about these FS? I don't see any scenario where you have to put special cases in the code to support these FS, it's all abstract.

Level 4

Re: Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Does it make the the whole drive appear as ext4 or just the. Dropbox folder?
Level 6

They said they are going to refund me.

I am happy.

Good luck to all of you!

Level 9

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

@imraven wrote:

There have been mutlipe responses before this but if it was just a matter of filesystem, say they only wanted to suport NTFS.  You can run NTFS inside of linux, pretty sure most of the mac FS's can also be mounted as well.  This isn't about the filesystem you're running, this is about removing support for linux and this is the first stage.

Edit: another point is that there have been workarounds in this thread where the users are tricking DB into thinking they're on an ext4 parition when they're actually not.  The easy conclusion is that DB is doing a very simple check as to the FS and when it passes it doesn't give a **bleep**.  So the real issue is why does DB care? There is no valid argument about xattr's and modern filesystems.  Pretty sure ZFS, BTRFS, XFS are more modern than NTFS, APFS, etc. (not talking years ahead but just mean they're modern).  For me the clear answer is they're just getting rid of linux support in general and wow, I'm not sure what I'm going to tell my clients.

@imraven, you may be right...or you may not.  What I see in this whole thing is that they are trying to rein in the complexity of supporting their product on all platforms. not just Linux.  Windows and Mac, being "walled gardens" when it comes to filesystems, has been affected far less than Linux has.  In comparison, Linux is the Wild, Wild West: anon_inodefs autofs bdev cgroup configfs cpuset dax debugfs devpts devtmpfs fuse fuseblk fusectl hugetlbfs mqueue pipefs proc pstore ramfs rootfs rpc_pipefs securityfs sockfs sysfs tmpfs vfat xfs.  And that's just what is loaded on the system on which I'm typing this.  The ext* family isn't loaded, nor is btsfs and other favorites described in this forum.

(I do not work for Dropbox in any capacity.  I'm a user, just like most of the people here.)

So "no longer supporting Linux"?  Cutting back on the variables in supporting Linux is just as valid from observation. 

Level 6

@Stephen S.15 wrote
 Cutting back on the variables in supporting Linux is just as valid from observation. 

Or they could make it filesystem agnostic like EVERY other sync platform out there and, if extended attributes are needed, only block out the incompatable file systems.

No... all the explainations are marketing-speak.  Someone either didn't know what they were doing or they don't have respect for an entire block of users.

This doesn't personally affect me (other than the fact that I have a ton of research users using NFS home directories that will have to be moved to local ext4) but as a linux user this ticks me off and it make me feel like this company has disrespected me. Not to mention the fact that I would guess a huge amount of Dropbox infastructure is build on FOSS. So they use the output of the Open Source community and they disrespect it at the same time.

Level 5

@dlefevre2  a écrit :

Not to mention the fact that I would guess a huge amount of Dropbox infastructure is build on FOSS. So they use the output of the Open Source community and they disrespect it at the same time. 

Exactly... +1

Level 9

@dlefevre2 wrote:

@Stephen S.15 wrote
 Cutting back on the variables in supporting Linux is just as valid from observation. 

Or they could make it filesystem agnostic like EVERY other sync platform out there and, if extended attributes are needed, only block out the incompatable file systems.

No... all the explainations are marketing-speak.  Someone either didn't know what they were doing or they don't have respect for an entire block of users.

This doesn't personally affect me (other than the fact that I have a ton of research users using NFS home directories that will have to be moved to local ext4) but as a linux user this ticks me off and it make me feel like this company has disrespected me. Not to mention the fact that I would guess a huge amount of Dropbox infastructure is build on FOSS. So they use the output of the Open Source community and they disrespect it at the same time.

@dlefevre2, you and others continue to think this is a technical problem.  I agree there is no technical reason that the desktop app should care  what filesystem is in use, as long as said filesystem provides the services the app needs.  I look at the problem and see a huge cost problem in providing support.  In order to deal with support problems, one has to duplicate the customer environment in order to replicate the issue.  Most customers have NO IDEA how to describe how their computer is set up -- they "just loaded Linux and Dropbox" and then submit a 25-word-or-less description of what broke.  It's worse in large organizations, where the loading is done by IT.

As usual, assuming I'm close to right, the answer to "Why?" is "Money".

The lack of answers to our questions just fuels the speculation, and leads to a discontent in the customer base that will hurt Dropbox in the long term.  So far, this little bru-ha-ha has attracted very little attention from the press.  If this keeps up, someone who "buys ink by the barrel" is going to notice.  And write about it.  Being a public company, such a story would affect the stock price.

Level 5

If you want answers and are not getting them, then go old school. File a BBB complaint.
Level 5

@Danne wrote:

They said they are going to refund me.

I am happy.

Good luck to all of you!

Congrats Danne! You're one of the lucky ones. I'm fighting to get a partial refund (7 months worth) of an annual subscription. 

Level 6

Dropping Linux support is completely OK. It is a business decision. And there is almost zero lock-in in this business. Many have already moved to other providers. Other solutions are actually cheaper and better. I was using Dropbox only because I was a user for a long time.

But dealing with users like this is not acceptable. Company like Dropbox should accept the damage and refund its uses (prorated).

Syncing and uploads

Welcome! If you have a question about Dropbox, you’re in the right place

Post your question or search for an answer, the community is here to help

Not looking for support? Explore other features of Dropbox

Learn more about the community