cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Did you know you can get an answer in less than 2 hours? Try asking a question now!
729 Comments
667 Likes
Level 5

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Hi,

These days, I found my Dropbox Linux desktop client always report the following warning:

"Move Dropbox location

Dropbox will stop syncing in November"

What happened to my dropbox account or my Dropbox linux desktop client? 

Thanks in advance.

ClockZhong

3 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Hi everyone, on Nov. 7, 2018, we’re ending support for Dropbox syncing to drives with certain uncommon file systems. The supported file systems are NTFS for Windows, HFS+ or APFS for Mac, and Ext4 for Linux.

A supported file system is required as Dropbox relies on extended attributes (X-attrs) to identify files in the Dropbox folder and keep them in sync. We will keep supporting only the most common file systems that support X-attrs, so we can ensure stability and a consistent experience.

If you received a notification, but are running one of the supported file systems, it's possible that you may have recently had a computer linked that was running an unsupported file system but have been since upgraded, or that computer is no longer being used.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Dropboxer

Re: Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

Hi all, just a brief update regarding encryption on ext4.

If you’re running ext4 and eCryptfs and receive a notification about moving the Dropbox folder, then it’s because eCryptfs isn’t supported.

However, contrary to @JinHadah's post here, I can confirm that ext4 with full disk encryption (e.g. LUKS) is supported. We're sorry for the confusion in that chat.

If I have any further information to share in the future, I’ll let you know.

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Super User II

Re: Windows client alerts me that it will stop syncing in November

I've corrected and restored some posts within this thread as due to people posting referral links there posts had been flagged as spam which had, in some cases, removed lots of posts from the thread. 

I've re-added them to the thread, but, minus the referral links so that the thread makes sense and flows again. 

Please note that you are free to recommend alternatives, but, referral links are not permitted as per Community Guidelines. 

Note:

For clarity I'm having this post marked as a Solution so that it appears at the front because I do not want peoples posts vanishing as I really do want people to get a solution sorted for them (via Dropbox, or, alternatives). 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

729 Replies
Level 6

Desktop app notification: Move dropbox location dropbox stops synchronizing in November

I'm running the desktop application on Ubuntu, and this morning I got in Swedish the attached notification by the app, in English the message is as in the topic.

I can't find anything about this either on the official Help pages, here on the forums, or on the web.

The notification don't provide any additional details either.

Anyone who knows what this is about?

dropbox slutar synka Skärmbild_2018-08-10_09-30-01 (kopia).png

Dropboxer

Hi everyone, on Nov. 7, 2018, we’re ending support for Dropbox syncing to drives with certain uncommon file systems. The supported file systems are NTFS for Windows, HFS+ or APFS for Mac, and Ext4 for Linux.

A supported file system is required as Dropbox relies on extended attributes (X-attrs) to identify files in the Dropbox folder and keep them in sync. We will keep supporting only the most common file systems that support X-attrs, so we can ensure stability and a consistent experience.

If you received a notification, but are running one of the supported file systems, it's possible that you may have recently had a computer linked that was running an unsupported file system but have been since upgraded, or that computer is no longer being used.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay

Level 6

On my machine I'm running the BTRFS file system where the dropbox folder is stored - BTRFS is the standard default file system for ubuntu system partitions and supports the mentioned X-attrs attributes. On top of BTRFS there's an encryption layer running, ecryptfs, which also is Ubuntu default if home folder encryption is activated.

Will the new desktop client solely run on ext4, or will it check for if the file system where the dropbox folder is stored supports extended attributes?

Tags (2)
Level 2

I use Ubuntu Gnome and my file system is Ext4 yet I still get this message?
Dropboxer

Hi Dave, is it possible you have an old Linux machine that you never unlinked from your account, which is using a different file system?

If so, you can remove them from your account here, and that message should go away.

@wedgehog, I’m checking on this information for you.

Jay

Level 2

I'm sorry, but this is NOT acceptable! Is Dropbox trying to get rid of the users from Linux community completely? There have been many bad decisions in the past, and this just top of the iceberg...

Why the f*ck only EXT4 is suddenly supported on Linux? Just because of extended attributes? That's a lot of horse BS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes#Linux

"In Linux, the ext2, ext3, ext4, JFS, Squashfs, Yaffs2, ReiserFS, Reiser4, XFS, Btrfs, OrangeFS, Lustre, OCFS2 1.6 and F2FS[8] filesystems support extended attributes (abbreviated xattr) when enabled in the kernel configuration"

Yes, I'm running LUKS encryption on top of my BTRFS partition, where I have my Dropbox folder. And I still don't see a valid and a proper reason why this configuration shouldn't work.

I'm definitely not gonna re-format my whole Linux just because of Dropbox - there are reasons why I'm on BTRFS. I'd like to hear some proper engineering explanation why suddenly xattr is required now and why only ext4 is supported. Because I really don't think there's any. This just seems like a lot of product/marketing  crap. There are reasons why VFS exists in Linux...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_file_system

From the xattr(7) man page:

In the Btrfs, XFS, and Reiserfs filesystem implementations, there is
       no practical limit on the number of extended attributes associated
       with a file, and the algorithms used to store extended attribute
       information on disk are scalable. 
Level 2

No support for btrfs file system in the future?

@Jay
Level 4

hi,

i've been using dropbox on linux on btrfs for years (since 2016), and i NEVER had any syncing issues whatsoever.

btrfs is being used more and more, and it's very sad to see Dropbox willing to drop support for btrfs.

i use dropbox daily to sync all my notes and personal files, and since i use linux for work, i can't live without any of these tools.

i agree with @deekej, i am not going to reformat my hard drives and reinstall all my systems just because of that issue.

i would have understood dropping the support if a lot of users had syncing issues, but i haven't seen a lot of complaing relating to the syncing issues because of the filesystem.

i hope that dropbox will do the right thing, and not keep support only for ext4. that would be a very dumb decision.

-phil

anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

I agree with the coments made above: BTRFS is a perfectly reasonable choice for a GNU/Linux system, that many of us use for various reasons. If, going forward, the choice is between Dropbox and BTRFS, then I for one will not be re-formatting my systems.

The going has been good, and I have been very satisfied so far with the service. Kudos! But this just may be the time to seek alternatives (probably Owncloud in my case).

Cheers,

-Alan

Syncing and uploads

Welcome! If you have a question about Dropbox, you’re in the right place

Post your question or search for an answer, the community is here to help

Not looking for support? Explore other features of Dropbox

Learn more about the community

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post
  • Jay
  • krenair
  • wedgehog