cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox constantly adding and deleting temp files

Dropbox constantly adding and deleting temp files

adsummers
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My dropbox is constantly adding, deleting, re-adding, re-deleting (etc) a file called _fIlE_!.tmp. It is also doing all sorts of other strange actions every few seconds, like "You renamed the file metadata.json.temp to metadata.json"

Any ideas what is causing this?

I have tried restarting my PC, and also unlinking/relinking Dropbox to my PC.  

Thanks for suggestions!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
My money is on the WD software. Dropbox, like most other tools like this, doesnt play well when other applications are trying to lock files etc. its using.

The way I can think of seeing where these files are is to go to your Dropbox folder on your machine, click on them and look to see where shows a syncing file (i.e. blue spinning icon) and navigate through to see if that gives you clues.

Or, temporarily remove the WD Backup.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Hi Adsummers

Dropbox is simply replicating whatever is happening within the Dropbox folder, so, something on your computer is creating those files.

Are you doing any coding by any chance? Or do you have your browsers cache etc. inside of the Dropbox folder to sync?

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

adsummers
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks this is very helpful.

I'm not doing any coding, and I don't think I would have anything like my browser cache in the Dropbox folder. I only have a small number of specific folders in the Dropbox folder. 

I do also use Dropbox with WD Backup, so maybe it is this backup that is creating/deleting temporary files?

How do I find out exactly where the recently added/deleted files are located? When I click through to the Events page on dropbox, it only gives the name of the file, not the full file location. And clicking on the file just downloads it, but doesn't show the location.

Thanks again,

Andy

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
My money is on the WD software. Dropbox, like most other tools like this, doesnt play well when other applications are trying to lock files etc. its using.

The way I can think of seeing where these files are is to go to your Dropbox folder on your machine, click on them and look to see where shows a syncing file (i.e. blue spinning icon) and navigate through to see if that gives you clues.

Or, temporarily remove the WD Backup.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @adsummers

If it’s not too much trouble for you, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT .

[ Please feel free to get back in touch here at any time if you have any other Dropbox questions or experience any issues in the future. ]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

pattyud59
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

hi,

Every time I download a file from my Gmail in chrome browser, I get this Alert message: " Remove *.temp file from your Dropbox account and all devices?

My default is placing the file in downloads of my computer. If I choose the option he asks me before downloading the file, I get this Alert. It seems that he automatically creates a temp file in Dropbox by default. But I do not know where to change this. 

Thank you for your help.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @pattyud59, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

May I ask if you've enabled the Dropbox Backup feature for your computer's Downloads folder? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    pattyud59 New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
    adsummers New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?