cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox duplicates files from Dropbox on Mac during syncing to Dropbox online

Dropbox duplicates files from Dropbox on Mac during syncing to Dropbox online

Ylona
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Dropbox helpers,

It is almost weekend but I still need some help with this syncing duplicating problem on my Mac. I already read through all the open topics and checked Apple doubles etc but I think it has more to do with a simple wrong button or preference that I clicked... 

So I just started working at a new company and my boss added me to the team Dropbox with all the invoices. I added Dropbox to my Macbook and I left the preferences to sync online only. I didn't click the selective sync.

So I have 4 folders that are on my Mac with a dozen subfolders and thousands of files. Dropbox started syncing and instead of recognizing the folders, making duplicates of all the files from the Mac to the online Dropbox... So I obviously pauzed the sync and deleted the duplicates. 

How do I sync the already existing folders with my Macbook without Dropbox creating a duplicate for everything that is on my computer? 

Thanks for helping a gal out! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ylona
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Rich,

It wasn't the dot files but I did have to just unlink my Dropbox and set it up again and then it worked fine. Somehow it went wrong even after trying to sync only 1 map or only keep them online and I can't figure out why, cause now it's all good after setting it up again.

Anyway thanks for the help! Also to you Jane. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@Ylona), thanks a lot for taking the time to describe the issue in such detail; it’ll be a pleasure working on that with you & I hope my message finds you well! 

Now I understand that file duplication isn’t ideal (& this resource here may be helpful in regards to the possible causes), however let me ask you for a bit more info, so as to make sure I’m targeting the root cause of the issue:

Dropbox started syncing and instead of recognizing the folders, making duplicates of all the files from the Mac to the online Dropbox... So I obviously pauzed the sync and deleted the duplicates. 

Can you please clarify whether you had an already existing folder on your Mac containing your Dropbox account contents? What did the duplication look like on your end incidentally? 

From there, in case you’d need additional assistance reverting your account back to how it was before the duplication, let me offer you an account rollback; please do let me know here & I’ll make sure to reach out to you directly if you wish to move forward on that.

Let me know of your findings in your next post & I’ll follow-up with you asap. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Ylona
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Thanks for helping me out so fast!

Yes I added the Dropbox folders on my Mac first that my boss shared with me so they were already in my Finder menu. Then I added Dropbox to my topbar and synced with online. So maybe I did it the wrong way around? It uploads the files from my Macbook to online with exactly the same name and extension. But those files are already in the online team Dropbox. So somehow it thinks the files on my Mac are new ones. 

Think that is the best way I can explain and it feels there should be a simple solution for it that I probably just did wrong haha I just can't figure out how or what.  

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I appreciate your speedy reply here & please accept my apologies for the slight delay in getting back touch with you here @Ylona! As I’d like to have a closer look on how the duplication has manifested itself on your end, let me dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on your filestructure through our Official Support channel having all our tools available. 

I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email, so please check your inbox for my message whenever you find some time. I’m looking forward to hearing back from you, in order to determine the best next steps together! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

user00
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Was there ever an answer to this issue on how to resolve?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

More than likely the files in question were the dot underscore ( ._ or AppleDouble) files that OS X or macOS create on non-native drive partitions. It's not an issue to be resolved because everything is working as it should. The files are created by the operating system, Dropbox sees them and syncs them as it's supposed to. The dot underscore files are just not visible on a Mac, while they are on any other file system (Dropbox, Windows, etc.).

The only true solution is to ensure that the Dropbox folder on a Mac isn't stored on a non-native hard drive partition. That's when these files are created.

Ylona
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Rich,

It wasn't the dot files but I did have to just unlink my Dropbox and set it up again and then it worked fine. Somehow it went wrong even after trying to sync only 1 map or only keep them online and I can't figure out why, cause now it's all good after setting it up again.

Anyway thanks for the help! Also to you Jane. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Great news (@Ylona) & thanks for sharing, happy syncing :white_check_mark: & please feel free to get back in touch on our Community for more tips & tricks, it’ll be a pleasure to work with you again in the future. Enjoy your weekend! :slight_smile:

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?