cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is Changing the file name to UPPERCASE letters

Dropbox is Changing the file name to UPPERCASE letters

Henrik K.3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sometimes filenames in my Dropbox folder(s) are changed to UPPERCASE letters. Seemingly random, but probably isn't 🙂

I can see from the version history that the file has been renamed (changing from lower to upper case or vice versa), but I have not done that. I don't think it is the client software either, as I experience this with different file types.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You may keep in mind that Dropbox supports case-sensitive file names, but Windows pcs don't. While it may appear that you can have mixed case file names, they both don't at the file system level. Consequently, you can’t have two files named "temp" and "TEMP" in the same folder on Windows operating systems.

Thus, there is no event that Dropbox can send to a Windows or Mac client that says "rename temp to TEMP" because that's not possible. This will work on Linux, and specially configured Mac OS, because they support mixed case.

What you can do to work around this issue is rename the file twice, like this example:

1. rename "temp" to "tmp"
  2. rename "tmp" to "TEMP"

Hope this helps you clarify, let me know if you need more details about it in your reply! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That’s a new one! It sounds like something we’ll need to send to our team for review. Before we do that, would you be able to send me a screenshot showing what you’ve described? If you do, just make sure there isn’t any personal info show, as this is a public forum :wink:

Thanks! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Henrik K.3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

2017-09-14 15_10_06-Files - Dropbox.png

Here is the full log for the file. The only rename I did is the first one where it was renamed from "test.xlsm". The file has been used on two different computers where one is a Mac.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the link to the screenshot, @Henrik K.3

In the upper portion of your image, there are a couple of consecutive renames of the file, at 4:42 and 4:43 PM. Did you do either of these renames, or maybe access the files on a Mac and a Windows machine at those times? 

Let me know when you can. 
Have a great weekend :sunglasses:

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Henrik K.3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have not changed the case myself in any of the cases. I have switched between Mac and Windows on this file, but I am not sure when this was. 

However I have seen other files that have changed case too, and they were never opened/saved on the Mac. Only Windows.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You may keep in mind that Dropbox supports case-sensitive file names, but Windows pcs don't. While it may appear that you can have mixed case file names, they both don't at the file system level. Consequently, you can’t have two files named "temp" and "TEMP" in the same folder on Windows operating systems.

Thus, there is no event that Dropbox can send to a Windows or Mac client that says "rename temp to TEMP" because that's not possible. This will work on Linux, and specially configured Mac OS, because they support mixed case.

What you can do to work around this issue is rename the file twice, like this example:

1. rename "temp" to "tmp"
  2. rename "tmp" to "TEMP"

Hope this helps you clarify, let me know if you need more details about it in your reply! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Henrik K.3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Weird thing, but I will have to stick to the workaround then. Thanks!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Henrik K.3

Great, this trick will help you organize your Dropbox files! :tools:

If it's not too much trouble for you, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT .

[ Please feel free to get back in touch here at any time if you have any other Dropbox questions or experience any issues in the future. ]

Hope you have a great rest of the day! :coffee:

Jane
dropbox.com/support

BMP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The solution I found was to select Properties of my dropbox folder and then to unselect the files as "Read Only" and saved that.

Then in the preferences I unselected the lowercase files and once they had cleared my pc, I added the files back to my dropbox folder - they were now in caitals as on the web.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    mauricev Collaborator | Level 9
    Brian1 Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?