cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not syncing certain files

Dropbox not syncing certain files

bauss
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

For the past few days, dropbox has not synced a few specific files on my mac.

I get this when I check the status in menu bar

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 11.19.39 PM.png

I've cleared cache, fixed permissions, and run check disk on my mac drive and no luck. Thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

clegs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Problem possibly solved, but I don't really know how. I logged out of dbox online then closed and opened dbox desktop. Then I dragged the master file (with it's sub-files) into the dbox folder.  I got a message asking if I want to replace the file duplicates (which meant the files were in dbox online but I wasn't able to view them before). I answered, Skip.  The sync closed, then I logged on to dbox online and all the files were there. Let's hope the issue doesn't re-occur.  🙂 

View solution in original post

49 Replies 49

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello bauss

My first reaction is that perhaps an application is still running and it places an 'lock' on the file in question.  Is this possible?

what happens when you reboot the computer?

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

bauss
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same thing. Still no sync.

I'm also seeing that some of these files that aren't syncing came from windows PCs. That said, there are no characters in the names that are incompatible with windows. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 4.54.33 PM.png

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Bauss

Can you answer the 2 questions that I posted?  I want to help you. 🙂

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

bauss
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I've rebooted the Mac, and ensured that no other programs are running, and it still seems to not sync.

These are audio files that are part of a logic project. Even when Logic is not in use, the files to not sync.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks buass

Okay, I reached out to my other Super Users and some Dropboxers, maybe they have an idea but I would encourage you to go ahead and submit a Support Ticket and meanwhile, perhaps others might chime in here.

Submit a ticket https://www.dropbox.com/support

Check or update Ticket via https://www.dropbox.com/support?ref=dropboxsupport

Please be patient and it will take some time and please include this Thread url as it contains useful info.  And Good Luck

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Getting anywhere on this, bauss?   I had a colleague tell me that if there is a hashtag in the script, try leaving it out and see if that it will sync.  He says a hashtag shouldn't be a problem but he wanted me to check with you

SJFarrell
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue. I've taken to storing Logic sessions in my dropbox after I've had a few external harddrives fail on me as an added precaution and backup measure. Just recently it seems every so often dropbox will just choose a file stored within a session and not want to sync it. I get that this may be a software lock on the file, but this has NEVER happened to me up until recently (it probably started happening about the time I updated to High Sierra). A fix would be great. 

SJFarrell
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Interestingly enough, I've tried a couple of experiments. All of these I've done on a clean reboot, so theres no software locking the files or writing to them or using them.

1) Renaming the file does NOT fix the problem, dropbox immediately says it can't sync the new file name. This rules out any invalid character concerns.

2) Moving the file out of the dropbox, and then moving it back in, does NOT fix the problem. Dropbox immediately refuses to sync the file.

3) Trying to upload to the folder its residing in via the web version of Dropbox DOES work. This leads me to believe that its not a problem with the file itself, as dropbox handles it fine. 

I would guess its dropbox caching a file descriptor that says the file is locked or is in use, and then failing to update or clear this information and therefore just refusing to sync the file. 

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

SJFarrell

Thanks for reporting here, can you submit a Support Ticket?

There seems to be something the Dropbox team needs to see here.

Submit a ticket https://www.dropbox.com/support

Check or update Ticket via https://www.dropbox.com/support?ref=dropboxsupport

Please be patient and it will take some time and please include this Thread url as it contains useful info.  And Good Luck

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    StigN Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?