cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not updating files

Dropbox not updating files

bobsquirrell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Some of my Dropbox folders have stopped uploading. I first noticed this today when I tried to copy a dropbox link from within Windows Explorer on my Windows 10 PC. The "Share", "Copy Dropbox Link" and "View on Dropbox" options were all missing when I right clicked on the folder. I checked several others that previously had allowed me to copy links - some were Ok, others had also lost the right mouse options. I then noticed that although Dropbox said it was up to date and had finished syncing, the files and sub-folders I'd been working on had not uploaded. I moved some of them to another folder within the Dropbox directory and this time, they did upload and sync with my wife's PC. I copied them back to the original folder, which still would not update.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bobsquirrell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for your detailed response, but I have now managed to solve the problem another way. It seems there's been an update in Windows 10. The folder that was giving me problems has for many years been named "Photos" and was working just fine. Yesterday, or sometime since the last time I added any photos, it seems that Windows has changed the rules on the naming of folders and had disallowed the use of the name "Photos". I decided to check that out so renamed the folder "Bobs_photos" and immediately I noticed that Dropbox started to index, sync and upload without me having to tell it to specifically. I was also able to right click and get the "copy Dropbox link" option back again. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@bobsquirrell wrote:

Some of my Dropbox folders have stopped uploading. I first noticed this today when I tried to copy a dropbox link from within Windows Explorer on my Windows 10 PC.

I copied them back to the original folder, which still would not update.  

Hello, @bobsquirrell...

I'm giving you a few suggestions to try in case I'm not around when you come back to post your progress.

First, let's start by checking your current storage space level since you didn't specify what type of account you use (eg: BasicIndividual or Team).

How much storage space is available when you look here (eg: 300 MB of 2 GB used)?  If you're over your storage quota then your files won't sync (upload).

In addition, be sure to run the bad files check as instructed in the Help Center article.

Also, what version of the Desktop Client are you using (hover mouse over the Dropbox icon).

I recommend that you try the newest stable build (offline installer) vs any beta versions that are available (eg: v48.3.57).  After installing it, please restart your computer.  Be certain that you use the same Dropbox login credentials when you sign-in to the Desktop Client.

PLEASE NOTE:  To prevent from receiving early releases of the beta versions of the Desktop Client... login to your Dropbox General page, scroll downward to the "Early Release" section and make sure that it's OFF (view screenshot below).

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

I've included a few Help Center articles listed below, this way you can read them at your leisure.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

bobsquirrell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for your detailed response, but I have now managed to solve the problem another way. It seems there's been an update in Windows 10. The folder that was giving me problems has for many years been named "Photos" and was working just fine. Yesterday, or sometime since the last time I added any photos, it seems that Windows has changed the rules on the naming of folders and had disallowed the use of the name "Photos". I decided to check that out so renamed the folder "Bobs_photos" and immediately I noticed that Dropbox started to index, sync and upload without me having to tell it to specifically. I was also able to right click and get the "copy Dropbox link" option back again. 

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@bobsquirrell wrote:

Thanks for your detailed response, but I have now managed to solve the problem another way.

I decided to check that out so renamed the folder "Bobs_photos" and immediately I noticed that Dropbox started to index, sync and upload without me having to tell it to specifically. I was also able to right click and get the "copy Dropbox link" option back again. 

Hello, @bobsquirrell...

You're welcome.  Thank you for posting what was occurring in your situation.

If you rename or move any of your folders then either process will cause Dropbox to sync the changes.

bobsquirrell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Somehow when I was posting my most recent reply, an important bit of text was omitted. The reply should have included that I think the problem started with a Windows 10 update, before which my folder was named "photos" and had been syncing perfectly for many years. 

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@bobsquirrell wrote:

Somehow when I was posting my most recent reply, an important bit of text was omitted. The reply should have included that I think the problem started with a Windows 10 update, before which my folder was named "photos" and had been syncing perfectly for many years. 

Hello, @bobsquirrell...

That text is in your actual post above about Win10.  However, the "quoted" text that I included in my previous response was tweaked slightly by me to save space.  I was merely letting you know that when you changed the name of a folder that Dropbox has to sync those changes.

That's why I used the maroon color in the quoted text to highlight what I was answering.

Sorry for the confusion.

bobsquirrell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks for the explanation, I see what you mean. My point was that the problem was caused by a Windows update, presumably a change to the rules for naming of files. Something to watch out for!

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@bobsquirrell wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, I see what you mean. My point was that the problem was caused by a Windows update, presumably a change to the rules for naming of files. Something to watch out for!

Hello, @bobsquirrell...

You're welcome.

I understood it was a Windows issue that caused the problem... agreed that it's good to know.

We appreciate that you posted the cause so that it can help other members in the future.

Karen1374
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for your comment re the Photos File.  I have just made those changes and my non-sync issue is resolving.  

bobsquirrell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I am delighted to have been of assistance!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bobsquirrell Helpful | Level 6
    Karen1374 New member | Level 2
    310EI Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?