cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox stuck at "Starting"

Dropbox stuck at "Starting"

samurai023
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Date: 6/24/2018

OS: macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6 (updated last week and then didn't use my laptop until yesterday)

Dropbox version: v52.4.58

Dropbox account: Personal, 71% of 15.4GB used

Enough space on local drive.

Have tried "full" uninstall described here (https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall) several times. But it is still not working.

29 Replies 29

cccome
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Update: a complete uninstall, and reinstall using the latest offline installer (version 52.4.60) seemed to fix the problem.

samurai023
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes!!!! 52.4.60 works. Thank you so much @cccum

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @cccome - thanks for posting what worked for you - glad to hear you got this sorted out in the end. 

@samurai023: I have just provided you with an update via email - let me know when you get the chance to see it. 

Cheers! 

[EDIT: Quick note on this: Our latest stable version of the desktop app seems to have resolved this issue.]

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Mongrot
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wait, what?  Dropbox can't handle more than 300,000 files?  Why on earth do you offer a 2TB solution if you can't handle a lot of files?  I've been waiting for over 30 minutes for Dropbox to leave "Starting..." and actually start syncing something.  I've tried updating and all of the other suggestions, but the app is still sucking pond water.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that @Mongrot - are you still having this issue?

If so, for how long has it been stuck at "Starting" on your device(s)? Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the message on the desktop app to have a visual too? Also, are you using Windows or Macs? 

Let me know and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Cyril_linux
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi Walter,
I am running dropbox on Linux, and the status is suck on : starting... I have heard that dropbox stopped syncing with some Linux service.
How could I fix this situation ?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Cyril_linux - apologies for the delayed response.

If you're sure you're running our desktop app on a supported configuration meeting our minimum requirements, the next thing to check here is security programs such as antivirus and firewalls, while this could also be related to your proxy (or even VPN if you use one) settings.

I hope this information helps to some extent and please keep me posted on your findings Cyril.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

romarmcintyre
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am stuck in this problem now. I am not using Mac OS. I use Windows 10 and it's the first time I have been experiencing this problem in my 3 machines this year since I used Dropbox from 2009. I think there's something wrong with Dropbox.

Erik N.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same problem.

"complete uninstall" - do you mean I have to remove also the Dropbox folder with all data from the computer to make this work?

Erik N

MaryGrummer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem.  Updated to Mojave 10.14.2 Running Dropbox v63.4.107 on a late 2015 iMac.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox (which takes several days as my system has a million total files, which I selective synch to my computer).  It worked for a couple of days then it stalled again at Starting.  

I have restarted Dropbox and restarted the computer. I have a laptop which I did not upgrade to Mojave and Dropbox works fine on this.  My entire team relies on Dropbox.  

Need more support?