cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Dropbox will not automatically find the syncing file on my Drobo Raid Array?

Level 2

My Apple Pro hard drive is too small to hold all my Dropbox personal and work information. So I use my Drobo raid array to sync each time I start my computer. Unfortunately, I have to relink the Drobo destination files each time I start my computer. What a pain. Any ideas?

9 Replies

Re: Dropbox will not automatically find the syncing file on my Drobo Raid Array?

Dropboxer
Hey @Paul F.63, thanks for taking the time to post us your inquiry on our Forum! 

It may be useful to you to utilize our Selective Sync feature to save some space on your MacBook, which lets you select only the folders you want to be synced locally on this device. 

That said, please note that if you're moving your Dropbox folder, and the selected destination is on removable media (such as a removable USB drive or memory card), Dropbox may not be able to create the Dropbox folder, hence we strongly recommend choosing a location on an internal drive.

Can you check if this is the option you were looking for & let me know how it works for you in your next post? Thanks in advance & I hope you have a great week ahead Paul! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Dropbox will not automatically find the syncing file on my Drobo Raid Array?

Level 3

I am dropping Dropbox (no pun intended) because I have 50 GB of data that I use to be able to back up on my Drobo. Why would I want to save that data on my computer? These are backups of data that I don't want on my computer. I will stick with iCloud which seamlessly backs up and syncs across all my devices. I purchased 1 TB of data on Dropbox to do this. Therefore this service is useless to me. I will save money by buying additional space on iCloud.

Super User II

@vestokes wrote:

... I have 50 GB of data that I use to be able to back up on my Drobo. Why would I want to save that data on my computer? These are backups of data that I don't want on my computer.

Your issue seems to stem from your misconception of what Dropbox is used for. It's not intended as a backup solution. Yes, it has some backup-like features, but it's a file sync service. The entire point of Dropbox is that it syncs the files that are saved on your computer so that you can access them online or on other devices.

Selective Sync and the newer Smart Sync feature allow you to remove the local copy of your files, but it's still not a backup service nor does it operate like one. If that's what you're after, then you should be using a service designed for backups.

Level 3

It might not be designed as a backup system, but its capable of working brilliantly as one now selective sync is available isn't it?

You can upload all those files that are currently on the Drobo to dropbox, then use selective sync to effectively make them occupy space in the dropbox "cloud" only and not locally. As I understand it, dropbox data is mirrored and super safe, so probably more error-proof than any local drive.

Dopbox experts, could you explain why this is a bad use of dropbox?

Thanks

Stephen

Level 3
Thanks for your reply. I found a better solution for my Drobo sync. I now don't need Dropbox for anything but occasionally sharing a large file. So, I cancelled the renewal of my Dropbox subscription.

Dropboxer

Hey @Stephen d.8, while using Dropbox for backup purposes isn’t its primary function, we get this question quite often & for that reason our colleague- Jay- has created this resource. That said, it’s not a bad use at all, however, this also depends on your what you have in mind as an ideal end-result!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Ideal end-result? For me, having a secure cloud backup of everything I value - including of data normally stored on secondary drives - without occupying lots of space on my laptop's main internal drive.

Selective sync seems to allow me to do just that, albeit a bit at a time, up to the maximum permitted by my account. i.e. upload it in folder "chunks", then make those online only.

I assume, if the using the Business Advanced plan, which says the storage is "As much space as needed" there is no limit to this, or is that incorrect?

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me here @Stephen d.8!

Ideal end-result? For me, having a secure cloud backup of everything I value - including of data normally stored on secondary drives - without occupying lots of space on my laptop's main internal drive.

It seems that you’re familiar with the feature, so if Selective Sync (and by extension Dropbox) serves the purpose, it wouldn’t do you any harm if you utilized it to keep your content safe on your account online. 

I assume, if the using the Business Advanced plan, which says the storage is "As much space as needed" there is no limit to this, or is that incorrect?

Our Dropbox Advanced teams are granted as much space as needed indeed. The base price for Dropbox Business includes 3 TB of pooled storage for up to 3 users, and for each additional user, we will automatically add 1 TB to your storage limit. 

I hope that this brings a bit more clarity to your inquiry & please let me know here if you still need assistance in any way. Wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane

Level 3

Thanks for that. I hadn't realised the Business "basic" plan was only 3TB between the three users, that makes it way more expensive per TB than the 2TB Dropbox Pro (non-business). I had assumed it was 3TB per user at that cost, won't be opting for that any time soon then!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox will not automatically find the syncing file on my Drobo Raid Array?
9 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post