Did you mean: 
Announcements

yes

7 Comments
2 Likes
Highlighted
Level 4

Edited files not syncing

Why is dropbox not showing any edits I make to a file on my computer. I thought that this was supposed to happen automatically when I click save. My computer is online and I am synced to the same account across all my devices.

Tags (1)
7 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Edited files not syncing

Thanks for initially checking that you’re logged into the same account, that definitely helps with the troubleshooting - awesome work!

As a next step, could you please let me know what the Dropbox icon reads (that’s next to your desktop’s clock) when you click on it, and send me a screenshot (omitting personal info)?

Could you also let me know what icon you see next to the file that doesn’t seem to be updated? Is it a blue icon with arrows Arrows Counter Clock or a green icon with a check mark on it White check mark?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

Hi Lusil

Please find attached the screenshot. Hope this is what you were asking for. All the icons are green ticked.

Since posting my question I have found that if I copy a document or other file from the source folder to my Dropbox folder, both of which are on my computer, it seems to update my Dropbox web folder. This seems to be the quickest way to do this so I think I will stick with it.

If the screenshot is not helpful let me know.

Thanks

NoviceMark

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional details and, although I can’t see a screenshot attached (no worries winking face), they do provide me with a better image. 

You mention in your original post:

@NoviceMark wrote:

Why is dropbox not showing any edits I make to a file on my computer.

I just wanted to confirm, are you referring to the desktop app or the website? Could it be that you’re saving changes to the file outside of the Dropbox folder, instead?

Thanks in advance once again, @NoviceMark!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 4

Hi Lusil

Sorry no screenshot showing. I was referring to the desktop app which I have set up to run on startup. When I save an edited file to the Dropbox folder it doesn't update any changes to the file in my online Dropbox. As I mentioned, the only way it seems to update is if I save the file to a folder outside the Dropbox folder on my computer then copy it across, it then DOES update the online document.

Thanks for your help though.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me on this, @NoviceMark

Hmm. We could always further investigate on the matter, but, due to account-specific info required, we’d have to take this discussion to email, in which case I can contact you to the email address associated with your Forum profile. Would that be alright with you? slightly smiling face

Lusil

Level 4

Hi Lusil

Thanks for the help but I make do with the way I do the updating at the moment. At least it works that way. If I change my mind I will post again.

Thanks again

Dropboxer

No problem, @NoviceMark. Let me know of any update or if you have any other questions, and I’ll be more than happy to help out. In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Syncing and uploads.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post