Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Excel - Trying to use VLOOKUP for files in Dropbox

Level 2

First time using dropbox for this. I want to create VLOOKUPs referencing several different files, but the problem is that everything is in Dropbox and I need to download the files to work on them.

Is there any way to create the links without having to download all of the files onto my local drive?

4 Replies

Re: Excel - Trying to use VLOOKUP for files in Dropbox

Super User II

No sorry. 

And also, unless the file locations are identical on the different machines they possibly wont work even if you do download them - thats because the lookups will be trying to find the file in the location from machine 1 but that may not exist on machine 2 etc. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer

Hey there @trietta - thanks for posting your question here!

As you know, in MS Excel, you can create links in a workbook to another workbook or file on your computer using a formula that references an external location. When this link is created, it points to a location on your own hard drive.

When your workbook is downloaded onto another's computer, the locations that your formula points to are no longer there. The link in the workbook is looking for a specific place, for example /Your_Computer/Your_User/File, and that location is no longer accessible from a different computer.

To learn more about relative and external paths in Excel please consult the following Microsoft support page

Even though I am unable to support you in configuring Microsoft Excel to work the way you'd like, what I'd recommend in this case is this: try using wildcards in your formulas. Wildcards, such as "%HOMEPATH%”, if other users have the Dropbox folder located in the default location, would let you point to a location without having to worry about different usernames in the path.

I hope this information helps and let me know if I am missing something here. Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hi there,

Can you further explain how you would use the %HOMEPATH% wildcard in the formular, so that other users can access the file with the links in tact, if the files are located in the exact same spot for everyone, its just that the links have been created under my username?

The formula i'm using is 

=VLOOKUP($A4,'[2019 New Day sheet, and operator RIW and inductions.xlsx]TS WEEK 11-17MAR'!$G$12:$Q$58,11,FALSE),  where would the wildcard go?

Dropboxer

I wish I could help with this but unfortunately I can't, as this question falls outside my scope of expertise at this point @rail. Have you tried asking Microsoft directly?

Just a note here as I couldn't help but notice that there's no Dropbox portion in your file's path on your formula. Is the file in question located within your Dropbox folder and on the exact same location for the others too?

This means that if you've got the Dropbox folder on your C drive for example the others would need to have their Dropbox folder stored on their C drive as well in order to keep the file's path intact and viable). 

I hope this information helps to some extent and please keep me posted on your findings. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Excel - Trying to use VLOOKUP for files in Dropbox
4 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post