External HD constant Reindexing

SOLVED
5 Comments
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 2

External HD constant Reindexing

Hello all,

I'm using DB on an external drive and I keep having this problem. Sometimes (often) when I start up my system it won't look for my HD (named "Gus") it'll look for one names "Gus 1" or "Gus 2" and the only way to get back to normal is to reindex, which takes hours.

Is there a way of hard-fixing my HD's ID or something like that?

I'm running El Capitan on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014).

External HD is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatted.

PS I tried to search the forum for an answer to this but I don't know what terminology to use - didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: External HD constant Reindexing

skillbard wrote:

I feel like I pay enough to be able to have the folder where I want.

The amount you pay has nothing to do with it; the capabilities of the software do. When placed on an external drive, file loss can occur under the right circumstances. This is why it's highly suggested that your Dropbox folder is not located on an external drive.

Sometimes (often) when I start up my system it won't look for my HD (named "Gus") it'll look for one names "Gus 1" or "Gus 2" ...

If you have multiple drives with the same name and they're mounted at the same time, or your OS isn't deleting previous mount points like it should, the operating system will append a number to the drive name.

5 Replies
Dropboxer

Hi there, @skillbard. Welcome to our community! 

Are you saying that your Dropbox folder is on this external drive, instead of the default C-drive? If so, did you move the folder there using our desktop application? Were there other Dropbox folders in other locations, or have you renamed or changed a folder path? 

Although our app supports having your Dropbox folder on an external drive, we don’t recommend it. If the drive is not immediately available upon system startup, or becomes inaccessible in any way, issues will occur. Here’s some more info on moving, and having, the Dropbox folder in a non-default location. 

It’s also a good idea to make sure you’re using our latest stable version, and to make sure your El Capitan is up to date. 

Anyway, let me know when you get a chance. 
Thanks! 

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Level 2

Hi Sanchez,

Yes, my Drobox folder is on an external drive. I moved it using the Dropbox Desktop App. I haven't renamed the path. I'm all up to date. I can't have it on my internal hard drive 'cause it's too small and, honestly, I feel like I pay enough to be able to have the folder where I want.

Solution
Super User II

skillbard wrote:

I feel like I pay enough to be able to have the folder where I want.

The amount you pay has nothing to do with it; the capabilities of the software do. When placed on an external drive, file loss can occur under the right circumstances. This is why it's highly suggested that your Dropbox folder is not located on an external drive.

Sometimes (often) when I start up my system it won't look for my HD (named "Gus") it'll look for one names "Gus 1" or "Gus 2" ...

If you have multiple drives with the same name and they're mounted at the same time, or your OS isn't deleting previous mount points like it should, the operating system will append a number to the drive name.

Level 2

Thanks for the link and patronisation x

Dropboxer

Hey @skillbard

Thanks for getting back with the info. 

The hard drive naming convention that @Rich mentioned may very well be the issue here. If you’d like for our support team to take a closer look, you can submit a support ticket here

As for the hard drive space issue, have you heard of our Selective Sync feature? With selective sync, you can choose which folders you want to sync to your computer, while all your content remains available online. Granted, you won’t have instant access to all your content like you do with your external drive, but it can come in handy winking face

If you are on a Dropbox Business plan, you also have access to our Smart Sync feature. With smart sync, you can keep content online, while still being able to see it locally. The online files don’t take up any space on your computer, until you access them. 

Cheers

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face