Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

File Requests Require Name & Email

Level 2

Why is the receiver of a File Request required to enter their first and last name, and their email address before they can upload the file?

It's cool that they don't have to have a dropbox account to give me their file, but i don't understand what the reason would be behind requiring their name and email.

4 Replies

Re: File Requests Require Name & Email

Dropboxer

Hey there  Darlin - how are you today?

I guess it would be weird (to say the least) if others uploaded files to your account without you being able to verify any of their (identifiable) information.

As you know, currently, users who do not have a Dropbox account can submit files via the File request feature. These users can receive an upload link in their email account and can use that link to upload files stored on their device's hard drive. The user only needs to have access to their email account to use the provided link (it must be a valid email address). 

I hope this helps to some extent while I'll be passing your thoughts on to the dev team for their consideration - thank you for your feedback on this one @Darin_F

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with please.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

@Walter,

Thank you for the reply.

Technically I already know who's uploading the information because they would be the only person I sent the link to.

Entering their name is fine. Requiring their email, when I'm not going to do anything with their email.. Not sure about that one, but thank you for your time.

Darin

Level 2

Actually I do have one more question...

The name that they enter, I believe appears in the file's name that they upload. Where does their email appear, so that I (the receiver of the file) can see it?

Dropboxer

Thanks for your prompt reply Darin - much appreciated!

I understand what you're saying and it makes sense to some extent but think what could happen if this link (the one you're sending) was somehow leaked (or even distributed without your permission) to random people or other similar scenarios. 

Let me know if you have any further concerns please; I'll be happy to follow up if needed.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

File Requests Require Name & Email
4 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post