cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files Open as Read-Only?

Files Open as Read-Only?

Thomas F.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am using Dropbox desktop App on my Mac (home) and PC (work). On the Mac (OSX latest version and Office 2011) everything works fine. But on my PC (Windows 7 Pro, Office 2010) files open as Read Only. If I go to Properties and uncheck "read only" for the file or folder in question, it is fine. But when I reboot, all my Dropbox files once again default to "read only". Can you help?

33 Replies 33

Randy O.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I try to open file in DropBox I get this message: The file may be read only, or you may be trying to access a read only file location. Or the server the document is stored on may not be responding.  

When I try to save file to my lap top I get the same message. I am trying to revise and update these spreadsheets and I have had no luck so far correcting this problem. These files were originally saved as workable spreadsheets. I never save as a read only file.   I use a MacBook Pro.

michele c.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem here. Macs 10.10.5, excel open files stored in a dropbox folder with read-only status. Help.

Theresa D.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The solution that worked for me was to SHARE the files with myself.  It wasn't only the dropbox files though, it was all of my files on the computer that had become read only. I had to SHARE each drive with myself.  All works fine now. 

Randy O.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I fixed my problem by updating my Microsoft. I had not check for updates in a while. When I did, I had updates, after that was complete my problems were solved in dropbox. 

Josh S.15
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,

I am sharing files from an iMac running Yosemite and Windows 7 home edition PC. All files on the PC in properties are marked with 'read-only'. Did any of the community solve this?

Normek Industri
New member | Level 1
Go to solution
Does your files contain a forward slash in it's file name? If so, try removing it and see if that helps, worked like a charm for me at least.

Deborah D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution
I don't understand why when I open a file - it asks me at the top if I want to enable editing. Which I DO! so I click on it. But after i have closed the document and reopened it the edits I have made have gone. Does anyone know how you save edits on Dropbox withoutmoving a file/document out of dropbox every time?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I don't understand why when I open a file - it asks me at the top if I want to enable editing.

Are you opening the file directly from the Dropbox website? Files opened through a web browser are typically marked as Read Only.

But after i have closed the document and reopened it the edits I have made have gone.

When you open a file directly from the Dropbox website (or any website) that file is downloaded to temporary storage. If you make changes to the file and just save it as is, you're saving the copy in temporary storage. That file is not saved back to Dropbox automatically. You need to upload it back to Dropbox yourself.

Instead of selecting Save, select Save As and save the file to a location that's easy to get to (i.e. your Desktop, Downloads, etc.). When done, go back to the Dropbox website and upload the file to the folder you want it to be in.

Deborah D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you...that makes sense...although it's a bit of a pain! Because I assume you then have to go through the whole process of uploading the file and also remember to dump the old one. But again, thank you for explaining! 

Matthew P.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Normek Industriservice AS - YES!! I tried everyone elses complicated solutions and the fix was as simple as removing the forward slash - TRY THIS FIRST

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kgtighe New member | Level 2
    IanH New member | Level 2
    rabinmoser New member | Level 2
    clinkinfo New member | Level 2
    ams58 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?