cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files created on one computer not showing up on another

Files created on one computer not showing up on another

AlexisMcLa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just got a new computer and the Dropbox files on my old computer are nto all showing up on my new one. Yes, I have installed Dropbox on the new one with my login information.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey AlexisMcLa, I’d happily send you some tips to fix this syncing issue, thanks for posting us on our Community! 

To ensure syncing works as expected, can you spare a couple of minutes to have a look at these pointers below? 

• Please make sure that you’re running our latest Stable version of the desktop application, you’ve made all OS updates & it’s syncing correctly on your system tray :arrows_counterclockwise:
  • If it’s not too much trouble for you, I’d appreciate a screenshot of the syncing status on your system tray.  
  • Following, have you had a chance to check if you’ve got any incompatible characters in the files name? Can you see these files normally online & across your other devices? 
  • If you’re experiencing an issue with excel files, kindly note that Windows only allow file and folder names of 260 characters or less; however, current versions of the Dropbox desktop app can read and write to locations that are longer than 260 characters.
Please let me know of how these tips work for you & I’ll do my best to have a closer look with you. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey AlexisMcLa, I’d happily send you some tips to fix this syncing issue, thanks for posting us on our Community! 

To ensure syncing works as expected, can you spare a couple of minutes to have a look at these pointers below? 

• Please make sure that you’re running our latest Stable version of the desktop application, you’ve made all OS updates & it’s syncing correctly on your system tray :arrows_counterclockwise:
  • If it’s not too much trouble for you, I’d appreciate a screenshot of the syncing status on your system tray.  
  • Following, have you had a chance to check if you’ve got any incompatible characters in the files name? Can you see these files normally online & across your other devices? 
  • If you’re experiencing an issue with excel files, kindly note that Windows only allow file and folder names of 260 characters or less; however, current versions of the Dropbox desktop app can read and write to locations that are longer than 260 characters.
Please let me know of how these tips work for you & I’ll do my best to have a closer look with you. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

AlexisMcLa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can I tell which version I'm running? How do I know that my old computer has version 54.4.90? And what is a system tray?

AlexisMcLa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It worked when I uploaded the new version to my old computer. Thanks!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Great, happy to hear you got this sorted Alexis! :unicorn:

For anyone else viewing this discussion, you may keep in mind that our app on your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) should look like the screenshots below: 

system-tray.png

menu-bar.png

Once you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon, you’ll see the syncing status (eg. Up-To-Date, Indexing &c). 

As this has been fixed now, I’d just like to let you know that it’ll be a a pleasure to answer any questions you may have again in the future. Happy syncing & a wonderful rest of your Tuesday ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

dtbrown
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm using Dropbox to transfer files from my personal PC to my work PC. whenever I upload files from the work PC (via Dropbox web client) they upload fine and I can access them from my Dropbox folder on my personal PC. However, when I upload a file (we're talking files less than 2MB in some cases) from my personal PC, they will permanently sync and never upload.  I disabled syncing to my phone photos and videos (which stopped uploading as well).  Also, I made sure that syncing wasn't paused.  Still no uploads at all (even if I try the web client).  What is the cause of this?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dtbrown, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Can you please hover over the Dropbox icon in your personal PC's system tray, to see the sync status and version of the Dropbox app?

And when you say that it doesn't work from the web either, do you mean that the uploads fail there too?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dtbrown
Explorer | Level 3

version - 184.4.6543

On the web version, files sometimes will sync, but it may take hours or days. none of the syncs fail (on the app or web) they stay in "Uploading" status.

other file share apps work fine on my PC like Onedrive.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dtbrown, sorry to jump in here, but could you clarify if the desktop app is 'up to date' on both of your devices or if it's still syncing?

Have you tried adjusting your bandwidth settings to see if that improves matters? 

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Sarah901
New member | Level 2

Hi 

I have just got a new laptop and downloaded the Dropbox app to it to share files from my PC to the laptop.

It has downloaded no problem but when I go in to the folder most of the files are there but I am missing some. Its saying that it is synced and the files are on my PC and online  but just not showing on the new Laptop.

Any help would be greatly apricated. I'm not very technically minded so as simple as possible would be great:-)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Sarah901 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    dtbrown Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?