Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Files not syncing with iPad

Level 2

I have Dropbox on my Mac laptop and also have the app on my ipad.  I have been invited to a shared folder and I can accept this request on my laptop but there's no sign of it on my ipad.  Conversley, there are files on my ipad not showing on my laptop.  The sync is showing to be up to date but clearly it isn't.

3 Replies

Re: Files not syncing with iPad

Dropboxer
Hey @nscholar, let me follow-up a bit more closely with you, I think I have a clear understanding of the behavior you’re facing & thanks a lot for reaching out to us here letting us know of how this timeline of events has occurred on your end. 

#1. For starters, can you confirm that you’ve signed in on the same account across your devices & online [Note: I’m double-checking, as you may have signed in to a different account on your desktop/ phone/ web (desktopiphone, 🕸️), which would trigger the confusion in the first place]. In other words, you’ll have to ensure that all three devices are connected to the same account (eg. n@scholar.com without using any special characters &c). 

#2. Following, you could have a look on your Events or your Homepage for your recently uploaded files. Are your files updating there from both devices (desktop ➡️🕸️/ computer ➡️ 🕸️)? (Note: I’m suggesting that as both the Recents & Events views group recently added files into batches for easier navigation.)

#3. Last but not least, please make sure that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your desktop (58.4.92), you’ve made all OS updates & it’s syncing correctly on your system tray/ menu bar. Moreover, can you please confirm you’re not using Symlinks nor referenced files, as this may cause continuous syncing?

Then, the same should be done for your iPad as well, where you’ll have to ensure that you’re running the latest version of the Dropbox app on your phone (114.2) & you've made all OS updates. 

Please keep me updated here on the results you’re getting on your end & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks again for posting us your question on our Community! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hi! I am experiencing a very similar problem problem: files which have been deleted centrally from my Dropbox account (accessed online) arestill there on my iPad. When I try to (re-)delete the files from the iPad, I am told an error has occurred and they can’t be deleted.

My iPad has the latest Dropbox update.

In contrast, I cannot run the latest Dropbox update on my MacBook Pro because the OS is 10.9.5. (i.e. Your your update is no longer supported on my MacBook Pr. Unfortunately at present I cannot update the MacBook Pro OS; I have to work with 10.9.5.) Despite that, Dropbox still *seems* to work from the MacBook when I access Dropbox online. The thing NOT working is that files deleted from Dropbox centrally (online, via the MacBook) fail to delete from my iPad.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey Claire (@ClaireM), I appreciate your detailed description & please accept my apologies for getting back to you in delay on my end. 

From what I gather Claire, it’s highly likely that there’s a device running an application which is using the content that’s re-appearing on your Dropbox account. Or, if you’re seeing a shared file or folder reappear after deletion, it may be that a person you shared it with is accessing it.

To check back on whether this applies, you can look at the Version History of some example filenames (tip: it’s on the on the 💬 of the file in question) in the folder that will point you towards the device or application that last accessed the files in the share/plain folder. 

If you check the previous versions of the file and see that it was accessed from an application on another computer, you can delete it off of that computer to stop it from reappearing in your Dropbox.

Please do let me know how you get on with my hints on this discussion & I’ll do my best to check back with you. Thanks again & I'll be awaiting your next post! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Files not syncing with iPad
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution