cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Folder has too many files to download - iOS Version 11.4

Folder has too many files to download - iOS Version 11.4

Methuselah
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am a Dropbox Plus user with 1TB of files in Dropbox currently syncing most of my files offline on my iPad (tons of spare memory capacity fyi). These files are broken into ~259 folders with ~2100 files in all (@~ 7.6GB total).

The folder which has now ceased to sync has ~770 files in it - in ~180 folders (~325MB). I'm loathe to break it down into a different structure as the current one suits my business purpose. Also, to be frank, the quantities in this folder seem pretty darn low to be presenting a problem for a business-grade product.

Can you please advise the 'fix'?

Total Dropbox size.JPG

Dropbox error folder size.JPG

Kind regards,

Bernard

24 Replies 24

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the screenshot, Pit! I went ahead and removed some personal information included in your attached image for security and privacy purposes. 

Moving on to your query though, in general, please note that you can make up to 100 folders available offline, but a folder can't be saved for offline use if:
  • The folder contains more than 10,000 files.
  • The folder contains more than 100 GB. 
Furthermore, you may be seeing those red x’s next to the folders you’re trying to make available offline because your device may have less than 500 MB available. You can find more info regarding this in this article

However, if you meet the requirements mentioned above, or you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kinahan
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi I have the same problem

on my mac I can see in one folder  2,398 items mostly PDFs that use 3.65 GB

my iPad has 140 Gb free space

all software is updated

I can download each file at a time, but there are two many for manual doawnloading

I get the same error messages when I try to download the folder

can you  help?

Thanks,
Paul

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @kinahan, sorry to hear that. 

Have you by any chance tried clearing the cache or rebooting your device? Maybe one of those will do the trick. 

If not, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the error message that you see? 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Marvin4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

I ecountered the same problem as these users do. Can you share with me how did these problems solved?

Marvin

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Marvin4 , sorry to hear that you’re also having trouble with this. 

Initially, please bear in mind that, if you’re trying to offline content, you can offline up to 100 folders, but a folder can't be saved for offline use if it contains more than 10,000 files or 100 GB. 

Nonetheless, in order to have a better understanding of your concern, could you please provide me with some additional info? For example, what is the exact error message that you’re getting? Could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of it?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Methuselah
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi again,

I'm still having sync problems (albeit with the current iOS - 12.3.1). Despite constantly deleting and re-syncing folders, I am regulary confronted with sync warnings like these (2 example images attached - one showing an attempt too sync, the other a 'warning' error?).

In some instances I have spent hours re-openeing every folder before it will show the green sync tick - though inevitably, to only have the orange error flag reappear.

It is absurd that I have to incur the cost of so much data (and my time!) to only have the problem reoccur. I depend on being able to access my files when I am unable to get an internet connection, even when the cost of synchronising mass downloads is less important than just being able to access them.

Additionaly, I'm paying a subscription for a service that's not delivering even close to it promise i.e. 100 Folder and 10,000 files (you'll see my Properties images of the two folder examples I've shown demonstrating the file and folder quantity is well below these numbers).

Can you please advise a solution?2019-07-16 09.30.54.png2019-07-16 09.31.02.pngAnnotation 2019-07-16 092823.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for your swift reply, @Methuselah

Just to ensure that we cover some additional troubleshooting ground on this, could you please let me know if forcing the offline folders to be updated does the trick?

To do this, ensure that you’re connected to a network and:
1. Open the mobile app.
2. Tap on Account.
3. From the options given, select Manage offline files. 
4. Tap on the spinning arrow icon that’s on the top right corner of your screen. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Methuselah
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

No change, the same folders remain with the orange error flag.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for getting back to me and sorry to hear that you’re still having trouble with this, @Methuselah

I’ve followed up with a ticket to look into this matter more in-depth. Please check your inbox of the email address that’s associated with your Community profile for my latest message. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Methuselah
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

I received your email and can confirm that the email address you have associated with my account is correct.

Need more support?