Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

HP does not have same folders / files as all other devices

Level 4

I have 1 macbook, 1 iPad, 2 iPhones and dropbox is flawless and I can open files on my Macbook using Excel and NOT online version.  The problem is my HP laptop Spectre XT which I have set to selective sync as it has less hard drive space.

Some of the subfolders and files are synced correctly.  others are just not there.  I want these to show so that I can open the file on my computer and edit versus messing around with online.  I do not understand why all the subfolders / files are not syncing.

I have MS Office 365 which is on all devices and confirmed I am logged in with the same account.

I have confirmed that I am logged into all devices with the same Dropbox account.

I have confirmed that Dropbox is running on my HP.

I have confirmed that Flash is set to Allow on my HP.

HP is running Windows 7 Professional.

7 Replies

Re: HP does not have same folders / files as all other devices

Super User II

Do any of the files or folders that are missing on the HP use characters that would be considered illegal on a Windows system?

Since everything is working on the Mac, the most likely cause would be illegal characters. If that's the case, Dropbox wouldn't be able to create those files or folders on the Windows system.

Level 4

Well thank you very much.  I now know that a period in the folder name or filename is the culprit.  Greatly appreciated Rich!

Level 4

Rich, another question if I may.  on my HP, when on Dropbox.com, the only option is to open online.  On my other devices I can open online or open within the application (Excel / Word / PPT).

Is there a way to correct this?  As noted above I use an MS Office 365 subscription.

Dropboxer
Hey there (@Hardercpa), I’m just pinging you back to check whether you’ve managed to determine what’s happening on your pc. Have you managed to resolve your concern incidentally? While there’s a similar discussion that you can reference, I’m interested in seeing what this looks like on your end. 

If you’ve done any initial troubleshooting on your end, please do keep me updated of the outcome, so as to further advise accordingly. Any detail you could include on this discussion would be very helpful & thanks a lot for taking the time to clarify matters for me!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

Jane, thank you.

regarding the sync issue the answer was that in the Windows environment periods seem to not be allowed.  hyphens and commas are allowed but not periods so that issue is resolved.

Regarding having only an Excel online option to open spreadsheets and not be able to us MS Office 365 resident on the windows laptop is less than desireable.  Any answers to that would be appreciated.

Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for letting me know (@Hardercpa)! While I’ve updated the thread I had linked in my previous reply earlier today within the day (that’s because we’re currently investigating the source of this discrepancy), I’d also like to submit your report to a higher-level technician if you don’t mind. 

Since I’d need to dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on the matter through our Official Support channel having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Dropboxer
Hey there (@Hardercpa), I’m merely closing the circle here; I hope my post finds you well! 

Following our email discussion, I’m updating this discussion as well for posterity. The issue described on this thread with the Open Button has now been fully resolved. If anyone else was facing this discrepancy, please restart the Dropbox desktop application (by quitting and re-opening) & the button on the web should go back to normal. Thanks for your cooperation & please feel free to ping us again here if you have any questions or thoughts. Take care until then! 

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

HP does not have same folders / files as all other devices
7 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post