Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Backup to Dropbox

4 Comments
0 Kudos
Level 2

HTC Backup to Dropbox

I have had to do a factory reset on my phone. I used HTC Backup to backup to Dropbox, I checked the backup was successful. When resetting my phone, it is no longer compatible with Dropbox - so I cannot restore my phone.

Play Store says Dropbox is installed 2.3.5.10.  I have tried clearing data in Google Play Store as suggested but this does not resolve the issue. I have also cleared data from Dropbox. When I try to login to Dropbox, it says out of date, go to Play store for upto date version.

I have tried downloading aDropbox APK buy says "App not installed"

So how do I get my phone back?

Thanks

John

4 Replies
Super User

Re: HTC Backup to Dropbox

The Dropbox app has likely been updated to a point where your device (or more specifically, your device's operating system version) is no longer compatible with it.

Same thing happened to my original iPad. An older version of Dropbox was running fine. I reset the iPad to factory defaults and reinstalled everything. The version of Dropbox then available on the App Store had a minimum OS version requirement; a version that my iPad could not run. That meant I could no longer install Dropbox.

Dropbox typically does not make older versions of the mobile apps available for download, and even if you happen to find one, it's 1) no longer supported and 2) not guaranteed to be a legitimate file (beware of third-party download sites!).

Level 2

I went on to HTC chat and have now managed to get it working by clearing out data from a few services. It has now updated.

Problem is now, my backup will not restore to my phone, it says no backup is available - although I can see it in Dropbox. 

I went through HTC chat again and they cannot help me with the problem, I have done another factory reset but still doesnt see the backup.

Does anyone know how to access the files in Dropbox? And another way to restore from these files? Otherwise, all my data is lost.

Thanks

John

Super User

This won't have anything to do with Dropbox as it doesn't perform backups. The app you used likely needs to be linked to your Dropbox account so it can access the files, and only that app will likely be able to restore those files. If that's not working, then you need to contact the Support group for that app.

Level 2

Thanks

It is linked to Dropbox already, if I do a fresh back up it shows this as available, just the original backup with all my data does not show as available as a backup in HTC - even though both backups can be viewed in Dropbox.

I was just hoping someone may have had the same problem and resolved it.

I will try also on HTC forums.