cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

March contest: Post your Paper workflow to win a Dropbox t-shirt and tote bag!

yes

Highlighted

How can I utilize Smart Sync if I've recently upgraded my account to the Professional plan?

Level 2

I just upgraded my account over the the professional which include the smart sync.  I want to have all of my file and folders that are currently in the dropbox folder on my computer filling up my harddrive moved over to the smart sync so that they are on the dropbox side and not on my hard drive.

Can someone explain me how to do this and get rid of the folder and files that i have currently on my HD, moved over to dropbox and then when can i delete all the files and folders from my HD that are in the Dropbox folder that is on my HD, when can I delete all the files and folders so to free up hundreds of meg of room on my HD.

Please explain in some detail since I am kind of slow when it comes to S... like this.  I need as much detail as you can provide.

thanks in advance,

Golfer57.... Steve

5 Replies

Re: smart sync

Dropboxer
Hey Steve (@golfer57), you can easily revert your files inside your Dropbox folder to Online-Only ☁️ by right-clicking on the files/ folders ➡️ Choose Smart sync & choose Online-only. Once you do, you will free up space on your hard drive almost instantly. (Note: It might take a bit of time for cached items to be removed from your hard disk initially, where we recommend a system restart.)

From there, it’s advisable to adjust the default setting on your desktop for newly added content to Online-only ☁️ as well (which denotes that all content will automatically be synced from our website to your desktop as Online-Only however you can manually download files to your computer when you need them by reverting them to Local White check mark)

I hope that this is the answer you were seeking Steve however please do let me know if I you have any follow-up queries. Thanks for posting us on the Dropbox Community & happy Dropboxing until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

My Dropbox will not change from local to online only in the smart sync box.

Level 2
I am unable to change my smart sync from local to online only. I have the upgraded version, so that I reduce the amount of space taken up on my computer. I did read a previous post on this, but neither solution solved my problem (or maybe I just didn’t understand the solutions). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: My Dropbox will not change from local to online only in the smart sync box.

Dropboxer
Hey Kelly (@Kellly), I’ve moved your post under this discussion, which may address your initial syncing-related inquiry. Kindly refer to the resources I’ve linked above whenever you find some spare time & let me know if you have any additional questions about any of the above; it’ll be a pleasure to further clarify. Have a wonderful rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 2
Hi, I have tried to do that exact thing, but it is not allowing me to change it from local to online only... no matter how many times I select online only, the local option is “checked.”

Dropboxer
Thanks for the update on how this appears on your end Kelly (@Kellly)! Would you mind unlinking & relinking your account on your desktop & rebooting once & see if this does the trick for you this time? 

From there, kindly note that you’d need to enable system extensions, in order to use Smart Sync & if you don’t have admin privileges on your computer, you may need to contact IT or another admin to change this setting. Have you checked this possibility by any chance? 

Please have a look at my suggestions at your earliest convenience & let me know how you get on with my advice on our discussion here! 

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How can I utilize Smart Sync if I've recently upgraded my account to the Professional plan?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post