cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

How do I navigate backwards in the mobile (iOS) app?

Level 10

Am I crazy or is there no way to go back or up a folder in the iOS app? Is this something that's only recently disappeared? I'm sure a glaring ommission like that would have been noticed by now.

8 Replies

Re: How do I navigate backwards in the mobile (iOS) app?

Super User II

Tap the left-facing arrow at the top left of the screen. It's to the left of the current file name, and has the name of the next higher folder. In the example below it's labeled Files. If I were to go another level down in the Documents folder, it would be labeled Documents.

abcb4de55fa16827a5510d0728a6b427.png

Level 10
I am seriously questioning my sanity. I knew that was there but couldn't see it for the life of me when I was looking this morning. I assumed a recent update had inadvertently removed it. It's there now though. WTF?

Level 10

Level 4

I haven't seen this Back navigation button on my Android phone for a year or two. The physical back button seems to have variable behaviour - sometimes it takes me to parent the directory, and sometimes it takes me out of DropBox. Yah! Driving me nuts! What sort of file system doesn't have navigation to the parent directory?

Dropboxer
While viewing files in our app, try swiping across the screen from left to right winking face

Have a great weekend!

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4
It worked! So swiping left to right is the way to navigate upwards. Thanks!

Level 4

I'm using the latest iPad Air and I found I have to press the back button (left facing arrow) multiple times before it will return to the left file panel... sometimes I have to press it more than a dozen times!  I even sold my iPad and bought a new one ... same problem.  Dropbox say they can't reproduce the problem but it happens every time for me.  I'm just about to go find an alternative to Dropbox.

Level 2

How about in Windows? How to move up one folder?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How do I navigate backwards in the mobile (iOS) app?
8 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post