cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I sync the My Documents folder with Dropbox?

How do I sync the My Documents folder with Dropbox?

Richard L.28
New member | Level 1

I'd like to have the My Documents folder on my HP synced with Dropbox, so I have a backup in the cloud. But I can't figure out how to do it without having a copy of My Documents in the My Dropbox folder (i.e., having two copies of My Documents taking up space on my hard drive). I might be overlooking something simple, but the system won't let me move My Documents into the My Dropbox folder, only copy it there. I just want files to upload to Dropbox automatically every time I add them to my computer. Using Window 7 and Windows Explorer, if that helps. Any ideas?

7 Replies 7

jasmine c.3
New member | Level 1

Hi Ed, I'm having the same issue with my Windows 10, same as Richard, I was trying with the CMD command administrator to link it manually , but it won't help? anybody can help??

Thanks!

Halvor R.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, same question: I just upgraded to Pro version with 1TB Dropbox and will also use this for all My Documents and My Pictures. Microsoft OneDrive is located outside the My Documnets and can therefore easely to use as a cloud for all my Office documents. How can I do this with Dropbox?

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

I just moved "my documents" folder into my  dropbox-folder. Of course window remade a now-empty version of my documents.  I would like to know if there is a better way to do this.

Mychale K.
New member | Level 1

I don't see any answers to the above questions.... does Dropbox not answer the questions in the user forums? I want to do the same thing as Halvor R. I also just upgraded to Pro and want to use it as a backup cloud for My Documents and My Pictures. An answer about this from Dropbox would be greatly appreciated. 🙂  Thank you in advance!

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

Mychale, the "comments' here are 99% unofficial!  DB expect you to browse around the help files and the forums.  But that can take some time. Short version is "use selective-sync" in which you select folder(s) to Not have on your computer.  Long version is "DB is not a backup system", so only use if to backup y our personal files (not system files).

Alexis G.1
Super User

You can in Properties of the My Docs folder change the path and move it to the Dropbox folder.

In this way, your docs will be moved to Dropbox and uploaded to the cloud.

If your hdd crash or your laptop is stolen, you still have a backup in the cloud.

Anyway, is recommended to backup your Dropbox content into dvd, usb, bluray, hdd, etc from time to time, so you protect your files vs ransomware

Alexis G.1
Super User

I don't see any answers to the above questions.... does Dropbox not answer the questions in the user forums?

This is a user supported forum only.

I want to do the same thing as Halvor R. I also just upgraded to Pro and want to use it as a backup cloud for My Documents and My Pictures. An answer about this from Dropbox would be greatly appreciated. 🙂  Thank you in advance!

Go to your c drive, users, your user and right clic My docs. In location, change it to the new location (Dropbox). Windows will move mydocs to dropbox. Dropbox will upload the full folder to the cloud. Now you have some kind of backup (if your laptop is stolen or your hdd have a malfuntion, your files will be safe in the cloud)

Anyway, you need protection vs ransomware, so backup your files from time to time to hdd, dvd, bluray or usb memory stick.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alexis G.1 Super User
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
    Mychale K. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?