cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

yes

Highlighted

How do embedded links in Word docs work on different devices?

Level 2

I use dropbox on two computers. On computer A, so that I have a local copies of my files, I sync dropbox to drive C.  On computer B however, I sync a local copy to drive K. Let's say I place a link to a file that is synced to drive C in a Word document. When I open that Word document on the other computer, it of course can't find the file because on that computer it's not on drive C. It's there, but it's on drive K.  Does anyone know a way around this problem?

Eric 

3 Replies

Re: Mapping a Drive

Super User II

Eric G.9 wrote:

Does anyone know a way around this problem?

Yes. Make sure the file is located in the exact same full path as it does on the originating computer.

Most applications, and specifically Office, use the full path to a file when you create links within a document. The only way to ensure that the links will work across computers is to have the file located in the same exact location across those computers. This is accomplished by either having the Dropbox folders at the same location, such as C:\Dropbox, or by using the subst DOS command in Windows or symlinks, neither of which are support by Dropbox, to simulate the same drive letter for a given path on each computer.

Re: Mapping a Drive

Level 2

Yeah, I figured this part out. I was hoping there might be another way to deal with the issue other than keeping the paths the same.

Re: How do embedded links in Word docs work on different devices?

ZSZ Level 2
Level 2

Hi. I want to word on uploaded files, for example in Word. In the Clouds. I that that is Dropbox. (now trying.) In Dropbox work with a Word-Fine, save it in Dropbox, then another user of my grout opens it. I do not want to save it on my computer. Or I am misunderstanding the whole of the Dropbox principle?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

How do embedded links in Word docs work on different devices?
More about this post
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See answer
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post