cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to "start all over" with Dropbox?

How to "start all over" with Dropbox?

WhiteErinM
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have been experiencing sync errors on one out of the three computers where I use Dropbox. I feel I have spent quite enough time on the sync errors, and all I want to do at this point is start all over again.

What is the best way to do this, without risking the deletion of my data?  Will renaming the Dropbox folder on this computer cause the next sync to "start all over" by establishing a new folder called "Dropbox"?  Or will it merely rename the folder on all three computers? Is there another method you would recommend to "start all over" on this particular computer?

Thanks for any input!

- Erin 

Erin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
To do a complete restart on this machine personally I would:

-Unlink the current account https://www.dropbox.com/help/mobile/unlink-relink-computer-mobile
-Delete ALL files and folders relating to Dropbox (including your own data - move it to another directory if you want)
-Uninstall Dropbox via here so it has all gone https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall
-Reboot machine
-Do an *advanced reinstall* as per the uninstall link
-Let everything redownload.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
To do a complete restart on this machine personally I would:

-Unlink the current account https://www.dropbox.com/help/mobile/unlink-relink-computer-mobile
-Delete ALL files and folders relating to Dropbox (including your own data - move it to another directory if you want)
-Uninstall Dropbox via here so it has all gone https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall
-Reboot machine
-Do an *advanced reinstall* as per the uninstall link
-Let everything redownload.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

WhiteErinM
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the very same files that are causing the sync errors cannot be deleted "because they are in use by another program".  I have googled these file names and they appear to be related to Windows indexing. So I turned off indexing, but no love - still cannot delete them, and therefore cannot delete the Dropbox folder. I cannot even rename the Dropbox folder - same error "in use by another program".  Yes, I am logged in to Windows as admin.

This is probably not so much a Dropbox problem as it is a Windows problem. But the bottom line is, unless I want endless "cannot sync" happening, I guess I cannot use Dropbox on this computer any more 😞 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Have you contacted Microsoft support to ask how to disable the indexing?

WhiteErinM
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes, I have disabled it and rebooted, and it still won't let me delete these files or rename the Dropbox folder. I can't imagine what other application or service could be using them. I feel like I've spent too much time on this, and I should just drop-kick the laptop into the ocean and get a new one LOL 

WhiteErinM
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

EUREKA!

It's not enough to stop indexing. You have to turn off the Windows Search service complete. Disable and STOP it. Then you can delete the files and the directory they're in.  So now my Dropbox folder is gone, and I can reboot and do the advanced reinstall.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

WhiteErinM Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?