Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

3 Comments
1 Like
Highlighted
Level 2

I have a syncing issue. Could you help?

This probably sounds like a silly question but here goes; 

Dropbox app on my PC won't open and is not syncing to my other devices. I am still able to access the files through the file manager but the files not syncing is a big problem.

I want to uninstall and start from scratch with a clean install. 

The problem is, I have some extremely important work docs on my PC and I want to know - if they are not syncing to my other devices will I lose those docs if I uninstall?

I don't have access to a flash drive and obviously, I'm not super tech savvy. 

Thanks in advance! 

Tags (1)
1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer

Re: Dropbox won't sync.

Hey there @mishka01 - sorry to hear that.

Have you rebooted your computer at all lately?

Also, just to be sure we're on the same page, could you please take a look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is syncing?

When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the m.... If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

If you're not seeing this at all, you might need to re-install our software.

Last but not least, note that the Dropbox software (i.e. our desktop app) is designed to watch your Dropbox folder and sync any files placed in the folder. Your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your hard drive, but with syncing features so this means that even if you uninstall the files you're working on will still be in their original place or your local Dropbox Folder (assuming that our desktop app on your affected computer is indeed not syncing at the moment). 

Let me know what you find so I can send you the most appropriate information if needed. 

Thank you!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

3 Replies
Dropboxer

Hey there @mishka01 - sorry to hear that.

Have you rebooted your computer at all lately?

Also, just to be sure we're on the same page, could you please take a look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is syncing?

When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the m.... If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

If you're not seeing this at all, you might need to re-install our software.

Last but not least, note that the Dropbox software (i.e. our desktop app) is designed to watch your Dropbox folder and sync any files placed in the folder. Your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your hard drive, but with syncing features so this means that even if you uninstall the files you're working on will still be in their original place or your local Dropbox Folder (assuming that our desktop app on your affected computer is indeed not syncing at the moment). 

Let me know what you find so I can send you the most appropriate information if needed. 

Thank you!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Thanks, Walter. 

I had tried updating earlier and it just ran and ran... I was not seeing the DB icon. 

I stopped all running DB tasks and did a restart. Now I am seeing the icon and it says indexing 14,000 and syncing 9,000. That number is steadily decreasing though, and I am watching previously unsynced files pop up on my device. 

Who knew it would be as easy as a restart? 

Thanks for your help!

Dropboxer

No worries @mishka01 - we're always here to help!

Quick FYI now, you can boost your syncing process by changing your bandwidth settings should you wish to that is.

In any case, thanks for using Dropbox and have a fruitful day ahead!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Syncing and uploads.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post