cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

March contest: Post your Paper workflow to win a Dropbox t-shirt and tote bag!

no

Highlighted

I'm having trouble setting up my desktop app installation

Level 2

Hi, trying to install the dropbox installer app as i want to sync my folders, but it installs yet never seems to complete the install. is there a problem on dropbox thats known of? thanks

Tags (1)
1 Reply

Re: I'm having trouble setting up my desktop app installation

Dropboxer
Hey there (@corgi22), I’m wondering whether any application running in the background has been blocking Dropbox from performing as it should. 

If I were in your shoes, I’d start off by checking back whether an Antivirus/ Security application has been causing this behavior. You can also try re-installing the app using an Offline installer that should eliminate similar discrepancies (& you can reference the steps outlined below to get going with that, as this pertains to the device you’re using)

Spoiler
  • Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".
  • Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (Windows 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (Windows 10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".
  • When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.  
Spoiler
  • Stop Dropbox (if needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar on the top of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox". 
  • Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action. 
  • Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application following these steps:
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon. Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.
You may give my suggestion a go whenever you find some spare time & please do let me know how you get on with my advice on our discussion here!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm having trouble setting up my desktop app installation
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post