cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I need help with getting a file back. What can I do?

Level 3

I removed all folders from my computer that were saved in Dropbox and then realised I needed to have them on my computer so used smart sync to get them back. I've had one of the documents for about a year now that I regularly update with new information, however the one that is in Dropbox now is a version from January so it is missing lots of information that I need. I have tried going to Version History but it doesn't show any other versions that I can get back. Is there any way that I can get this file back the way it was at the end of last week?

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Getting a file back

Dropboxer
Hey @VLJCCS, thanks for reaching out to our Community for assistance! 

Now, based on your description, this file hasn’t synced to our servers sadly. If I were in your shoes, I’d have a second look at my cache folder & see if the version I’m looking for is stored there. As an extra step, could you have a look at the third-party application you were using to edit your file & see if you can retrieve a copy stored in the Recents (i.e. this is what i would do if I was convinced that the file’s version hasn’t synced to my account online)

I'd appreciate it if you could also let me know of the application you were using, the filetype & the steps you took to save the files in question to your Dropbox account. 

Please keep me updated here on the results you’ll get & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks again for posting your question here!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Thank you Jane, I don't know why I didn't think of going further through my recent docs in the applicable app but I was able to find it, much to my relief!!!

Dropboxer
Hooray @VLJCCS, that’s some great news indeed, I’m glad to hear that you’ve got this sorted now & I appreciate your prompt update on our conversation here! Robot

Our Community Wall is always open to further inquiries or feedback & it’ll be a pleasure to hear back from you in the future. Happy Dropboxing & take care until we talk again! upside-down face

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

previous version of files, but the only version in my version history is the most recently saved one

Level 4

I changed a file. Saved it. Then I realized I need to use the previous file. that was saved 2 days ago. How do I get access to that previous file?  I have already gone to my browser dropbox and clicked version history for the file. The only one that's there is the wrong one. Which is date 3-12, but it doesn't look like the one I saved on 3-12. It doesn't have the data I input that day.

Re: previous version of files, but the only version in my version history is the most recently saved

Dropboxer
Hey Ann (@Ann6), kindly note I’ve moved your post under this discussion here, just in order to ping you on my pointers above. Would you mind having a look at my previous comment & let me know whether any of those apply in your current situation?

If you need further assistance on that, please let me know how you uploaded the file to our website & also check whether you have a copy of your file on your device. Any detail you could include on this discussion would be very helpful & rest assured that I’m here to help as much as possible. Thanks! 

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I need help with getting a file back. What can I do?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post