cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: If I delete a file from my hard drive, will it delete it from my dropbox since my computer is synced?

If I delete a Dropbox file synced on my computer, will it delete it from my Dropbox account?

Jessica G.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have been trying to copy all of my files on my computer to drop box. I am on to pictures and have a ton - now I'm running out of space on my hard drive. Can I safely delete files from my hard drive? I am worried if I do this, my synced files in dropbox will also be deleted. Please help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Keiran wrote:
... I cannot delete it from my machine without losing my files ... Rubbish!

Sure you can. As described previously, Selective Sync allows you to remove the local copy of a folder while keeping that folder in your account online. If you have a Professional account, you also have access to Smart Sync, which allows you to remove the local copy of a file or folder while still having it appear on your local drive.

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Robert J.
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Your Dropbox in the cloud is a mirror of the Dropbox folder on the hard drive. Files added to the Dropbox folder on the hard drive are uploaded to the cloud, but must also remain on the hard drive . If you delete them from the hard drive, they will similarly be deleted from the cloud. The local and cloud folders are kept in step. Dropbox provides mirror storage, not additional storage.

Kriston L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Robert J, I have a similar question and was wondering if you could help. I wanted to delete the drop box files off of my pc because its taking sooooo much space. But you are saying dropbox is merely mirror storage, not additional storage? So is dropbox just like a backup? And of course a means to easily share? What is an alternative app or other choices if I really just need all the pics and vids taken off of my pc and put somewhere else so I can free up space on my pc. The main things I will be storing are photos and video tutorials from iphone, ipad and gopro. I am starting to see that maybe dropbox is not what Im looking for? My pc and both mobile devices are near capacity for storage, I need additional safe storage that I can easily reach from mobile devices and easily use again from mobile devices if necessary. Thank you sooooooo much for your help!!  

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

...are saying dropbox is merely mirror storage, not additional storage?

Correct. Dropbox is a file synchronisation tool, not a cloud drive.

If it's only necessary to have your mobile devices linked, no problem, you can just uninstall it from the computer.

You could also choose to leave the computer linked, but manage the space Dropbox will use with Selective Sync.

Robert B.96
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

If I uninstall dropbox from my computer, will all of my files still be in the cloud?

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

If I uninstall dropbox from my computer, will all of my files still be in the cloud?

Yes.

Uninstalling Dropbox from your computer just removes the software, it doesn't remove any files from DB's servers or the Dropbox folder.

See: How do I uninstall Dropbox?

Craig & Pepper
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have dropbox installed on my machine under two different users and would like to delete it from one of them as the account is no longer used and I'm doubling up on hd space because of it.  The issue I have is that the account has be removed and cannot be logged into.  I can still access the files through c drive users file in explorer.  If delete it here will it delete the files that are linked on other machines?  I hope not as I cannot log into the user account and therefore cannot sync to dropbox from it.  I hope this all makes some sense!?

ArizonaGirl13
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have uninstalled dropbox, but there are still files in a dropbox folder taking up space on my computer.  I tried deleting some of the folders, but then checked dropbox.com and it deleted them from there too.  HELP!  My computer is full and I need to free up some space. 

jaffa1888
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

its all very confusing to me too

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

ArizonaGirl13 wrote:

I tried deleting some of the folders, but then checked dropbox.com and it deleted them from there too.

If you're deleting a file from the local Dropbox folder on your computer and it's deleting it from your account online as well, then Dropbox is still installed and running on your computer.

Need more support?