cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I delete a Dropbox file synced on my computer, will it delete it from my Dropbox account?

If I delete a Dropbox file synced on my computer, will it delete it from my Dropbox account?

Jessica G.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have been trying to copy all of my files on my computer to drop box. I am on to pictures and have a ton - now I'm running out of space on my hard drive. Can I safely delete files from my hard drive? I am worried if I do this, my synced files in dropbox will also be deleted. Please help!

30 Replies 30

sasha212
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Your Dropbox is protected by your own login and password... if someone else installs Dropbox on a computer you used, they’ll have to use their own login account.

Keiran
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I totally agree ... there must be a million better solutions out there .... My Mac BookPro is chewed up with all the data that I have and now I find that I cannot delete it from my machine without losing my files ... Rubbish!

I am pretty sure that when I subscribed to a paid "Drop Box Account" it asked me how much "Storage" I was wanting ... not how much "Sync" I required !!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Keiran wrote:
... I cannot delete it from my machine without losing my files ... Rubbish!

Sure you can. As described previously, Selective Sync allows you to remove the local copy of a folder while keeping that folder in your account online. If you have a Professional account, you also have access to Smart Sync, which allows you to remove the local copy of a file or folder while still having it appear on your local drive.

applestore
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

@ArizonaGirl13 wrote:

I tried deleting some of the folders, but then checked dropbox.com and it deleted them from there too.

If you're deleting a file from the local Dropbox folder on your computer and it's deleting it from your account online as well, then Dropbox is still installed and running on your computer.

What a horrible storage sollution. iCloud wins

sasha212
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

You're doing it wrong... Don't delete files! Deleting them deleletes them everywhere... 

Instead, you want to choose not to sync those folders with your desktop...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cx5xq5j3a24simh/Screenshot%202018-04-30%2015.48.16.png?dl=0 

SFChris
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I inadvertantly added a Word doc to my Dropbox file when I meant to move it on my computer desktop.  I was able to open it in my Dropbox and re-save it to my desktop.  When I tried to delete it from my Dropbox I got a pop-up message saying if I did that I would also delete it from my hard drive and all devices.

How can I delete the Word doc from my Dropbox but NOT delete it from my computer desktop at the same time?

Thanks fo you help!

Ferguson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Im still hesitant to make a move on this. I want to delete files on my computer without deleting them from my drop box. One guy says this is not possible. Following your steps, I come to my final step which is to Update Selective Sync Settings. It says that the files will be removed from my computers dropbox. BUT, will they still be in my online dropbox? Will I still be able to access them in my online drop box?

And I notice its not the same form my iphone. When I delete photos on my phone they are still in my dropbox. Why doesn't it work this way on my computer?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Ferguson wrote:

... I come to my final step which is to Update Selective Sync Settings. It says that the files will be removed from my computers dropbox. BUT, will they still be in my online dropbox?

Yes, they will still be in your account online. Just make sure they're fully synced BEFORE you use Selective Sync.

Will I still be able to access them in my online drop box?

Yes, through the Dropbox website.

And I notice its not the same form my iphone. When I delete photos on my phone they are still in my dropbox. Why doesn't it work this way on my computer?

The desktop and mobile apps are not meant to work the same way. Your phone doesn't sync files like the desktop does. It's just used to view what's in your account, and upload/download files as needed. There is no syncing taking place unless a file is marked for offline use.

AngelStorm
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
What are the current (3/2019) answers to this question? Do I delete the app? Or no?

I need a place to put images and be able to remove from my devices.

Please advise.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@AngelStorm wrote:
What are the current (3/2019) answers to this question?

The answers above are still accurate.

Do I delete the app? Or no?

That depends on what you're trying to do. You haven't really provided much information.

I need a place to put images and be able to remove from my devices.

Install the Dropbox app and sign-in. Move (not copy) your images to the Dropbox folder on your computer and wait for them to finish syncing (VERY important!). You want to see a green check on all your files to indicate that they're synced, and the Dropbox icon in your system tray on (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) will say Up to date when you hover your cursor over it.

Then, go into Dropbox Preferences, on the Sync tab, and click the Select Folders button under the Selective Sync section. Uncheck the folder(s) that you don't want to keep on your computer. Once you confirm the selections, any folder you've unchecked will be removed from your computer but will remain in your account online.

Again, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you wait for syncing to finish BEFORE you remove a folder using Selective Sync. Unchecking a folder that hasn't finished syncing will remove it from your computer before it has had a chance to upload to your account.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BillyBee New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    AngelStorm New member | Level 2
    Ferguson New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?