cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an option to use Dropbox as a mounted cloud drive?

Is there an option to use Dropbox as a mounted cloud drive?

stevenriz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hih looking to see if Dropbox has a "drive" option where if you are connected to the internet, you can see your data through a folder on your file manager. When you disconnect, it goes away. Much like Box and Egnyte have. I "assumed" Dropbox has this functionality but do not see it anywhere I look on the app. Any help? Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@stevenriz wrote:

do not want to sync anything, yet I do not want to use GUI to access my data. I'd like a mapped folder or drive to my data however. This will help keep our data organized.

Dropbox does not have the functionality you want. Its intended purpose is not cloud storage in the sense that you have a mapped folder or drive. It's a synchronization tool first and foremost.

That being said, Dropbox Professional and Business both have the Smart Sync feature which allows you to set the Dropbox folder and it's content to be Online-only but still appear on your local drive. Any file you open is downloaded and set Local and then opened like any other file. This still requires that you have the Dropbox client installed on your computer, and will still sync files that are set to Local.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @stevenriz, thanks for posting your question on the Forum, welcome aboard!

The Dropbox software is designed to watch your Dropbox folder and sync any files placed in the folder. Your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your hard drive, but with syncing features.

To take advantage of Dropbox, move or copy files into the Dropbox folder. Once Dropbox sees changes in the Dropbox folder, it automatically syncs the new changes to Dropbox servers and to any other device linked to your account. 

In the case where you don’t have internet available, the Dropbox folder will just be unable to sync changes that occur to the files in your Dropbox folder. Once you have internet again on your device, the changes will sync. If you’d like to have specific files available in your Dropbox folder, I’d recommend checking out selective sync

I hope this helps. Let me know here if you have any other questions and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Have a nice day!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

stevenriz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Lucil. Thank you for the reply. My main issue is we will have more data on Dropbox than our hard drives will hold. Hence we want to take full advantage of the Dropbox cloud. I do not want to sync anything, yet I do not want to use GUI to access my data. I'd like a mapped folder or drive to my data however. This will help keep our data organized. Does that make sense? I am not sure Dropbox has that functionality, does it?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@stevenriz wrote:

do not want to sync anything, yet I do not want to use GUI to access my data. I'd like a mapped folder or drive to my data however. This will help keep our data organized.

Dropbox does not have the functionality you want. Its intended purpose is not cloud storage in the sense that you have a mapped folder or drive. It's a synchronization tool first and foremost.

That being said, Dropbox Professional and Business both have the Smart Sync feature which allows you to set the Dropbox folder and it's content to be Online-only but still appear on your local drive. Any file you open is downloaded and set Local and then opened like any other file. This still requires that you have the Dropbox client installed on your computer, and will still sync files that are set to Local.

stevenriz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

That explains everything Thank you for the help Rich and all!

Jason R. C.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Expandrive offers the feature you seek. Give it a try for free. I use it and recommend it.

AlexSlaets
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

You do need to appreciate that using cloud storage (of any type) as a mounted  drive is unreliable if there is no caching used. 

On the windows and mac platforms smart sync automatic smart sync will essentially do what you need,  but some disk space will be used for local copies of files you are actually opening on the client. 

If you are tech-savvy I advise you to have a look at rclone , which supports many cloud services and allows exactly what you are looking for: mounting dropbox in the file system. Automatic caching is used - I repeat : without caching it cannot work reliably. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AlexSlaets Explorer | Level 4
    Jason R. C. Helpful | Level 6
    stevenriz Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?