cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

yes

Highlighted

Monitoring a large upload

avw Level 2
Level 2

I started uploading a set of 6107 files (14.1GB) yesterday.  After more than 15 hours overnight, the upload is not yet complete.  Although they all appear to be there in my local Dropbox, many of them are still not yet "green checked" and they don't appear on the online file list yet.  However, I can't seem to find a way to monitor progress or even to be sure the upload is continuing.  If I could even get a count of the files already online that would be a huge help but I can't seem to find any information onsite about the % of progress or the size of the folder.  This type of information seems like it should be available but I just can't seems to locate it.

3 Replies

Re: Monitoring a large upload

Dropboxer
Hey @avw, syncing your files can take time if you have many/large files. When Dropbox syncs, it starts with all of the folders, then uploads files from smallest to largest. 

You can see the sync status by holding your mouse over the Dropbox icon, which will either say up to date or tell you how many files are left to sync and how long it expects to take. Bear in mind though that this is an "instant" estimate based on the current upload speed and can change if you check it just a few seconds later. 

If the sync time is large then you need to remember to stay logged into your computer and to keep that computer turned on and connected to the Internet. Dropbox syncs your files in the background.

Finally, I wanted to mention that you can upload and download as fast as your Internet service provider (ISP) allows. Although, in general, Dropbox doesn't use all of your bandwidth, you can change that by manually setting the upload/download speed. Please note that setting your upload to Don't Limit or higher than what your connection is capable of will likely cause all other Internet activity on your network to slow significantly.

In any case, let me know if you’re still having trouble with this or if you have any other questions, and I’d be more than happy to help. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

avw Level 2
Level 2

Hi Lusil - thanks for the reply but I don't understand which Dropbox icon (and where it is located) will give me the # completed information.  I understand that the upload will take time and I am not worried about the speed - I just need to be able to check a % complete as the process goes on.  I also know about the status icons but I can't go through the whole list of 6107 files manually and count the ones that have been copies or not copied.

Super User II

The Dropbox icon is in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac), which is by the clock on both operating systems.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Monitoring a large upload
More about this post
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See answer
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post