Move folder and symlink without reuploading

SOLVED
2 Comments
2 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4

Move folder and symlink without reuploading

Hello,

I'm not sure this is possible, but can't find an answer and thought I'd ask prior to doing a reupload.

I have a large folder in Dropbox. I want to move this folder to another hard drive and then symlink it inside the Dropbox folder so it's still synced, it's just off my main hard drive.

Is there a way to do this without causing a full reupload?

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: Move folder and symlink without reuploading

It won't need to re-upload but it will need to re-index all the files within, which could take some time depending on the size/quantity. But first, you need to understand that Dropbox does not suuport the use of symlinks, and under the right conditions data loss can occur. Also, Dropbox will only sync the files at the other end of a symlink when it starts up or if you pause/resume syncing. This is because the operating system does not notify Dropbox when a file at the other end of the link has been updated. Since Dropbox is never notified, the only time it will know about changes on the other end is when it's re-indexing your files (at startup or after a pause/resume).

With all that in mind, know that what you're doing is completely unsupported and while possible, you take your data's safety into your own hands. Support will not assist you should something go wrong. Make sure you have good backups of your data!

2 Replies
Solution
Super User II

It won't need to re-upload but it will need to re-index all the files within, which could take some time depending on the size/quantity. But first, you need to understand that Dropbox does not suuport the use of symlinks, and under the right conditions data loss can occur. Also, Dropbox will only sync the files at the other end of a symlink when it starts up or if you pause/resume syncing. This is because the operating system does not notify Dropbox when a file at the other end of the link has been updated. Since Dropbox is never notified, the only time it will know about changes on the other end is when it's re-indexing your files (at startup or after a pause/resume).

With all that in mind, know that what you're doing is completely unsupported and while possible, you take your data's safety into your own hands. Support will not assist you should something go wrong. Make sure you have good backups of your data!

Level 4

Awesome Rich, thanks so much for the detailed answer!

Yes, for some reason I had it in my head that symlinking was supported!

I'll rethink my strategy slightly smiling face