cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My video files have no audio after I downloaded them. Any ideas what's happening?

My video files have no audio after I downloaded them. Any ideas what's happening?

milco
New member | Level 2

just downloaded movies, but there's no sound, help!

9 Replies 9

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey there (@milco), sorry to hear about that; rest assured that I’m here to help you on that as much as possible. 

As an initial point of reference, can you please clarify whether you’ve synced your movie to your desktop :arrows_counterclockwise:/:white_check_mark: or you’ve downloaded it directly from our website? Could you also let me know of the file extension? I’m wondering if you can’t load the sound on your video locally because it can’t be loaded on the application you’re using to open it on your device. Have you tried with opening the file in question using a different application perchance? 

Just so as to determine the best next steps for you, I’d appreciate it if you could include a step-by-step description, as well as a screenshot of any error messages you’re getting when you’re facing this issue (omitting personal info), so as to better determine what's happening. 

Once I have these details, I’ll try to address your initial inquiry in a bit more depth & thanks in advance for taking a bit of your time to explain matters!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

madonnaswanson
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue - downloading files from dropbox (I am on Surface using Chrome) and when I download it plays WITHOUT audio.  I can stream it fine.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey there (@madonnaswanson), are you facing this issue with a specific file/filetype? Are you getting any error messages when you’re trying to open your file locally by any chance? 

Any detail you could include on this discussion would be very helpful & rest assured that I’m here to help as much as possible. Thanks! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Joey Camilleri
Helpful | Level 5

Hello

I'm also having the same issue with an MP4 from. When I view the file either from the dropbox folder on my laptop or after I download the file from dropbox, the video will play with no sound.  However, I can hear the audio when viewing the file in a browser.

Any support on this will be great. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Joey Camilleri; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

It sounds like your media player is having an issue with previewing the file's whole content; could you check for any missing codecs or maybe try another program to open the mentioned file(s)? 

Let me know how it goes Joey! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dylansays
Explorer | Level 4

Having a similar issue, and have been for many months with dropbox. 

When I transfer an mp4 file through Google Drive it downloads and plays perfectly on quicktime.

When I transfer the exact same file on dropbox the download has sound drops all the way through...

What gives. The people I work with have asked me to stop using your service...

Joey Camilleri
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks @Walter 

I'm not sure what codecs are or how to check for missing codecs. Once I download the file from dropbox I did open it with another media player however same issue, no sound.

Thanks

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update on this @Joey Camilleri!

Audio and video codecs are used by applications on your devices to open your files.

A simple web search for a codec pack for the app you're using to open the mentioned files should help in this case. Once you find and install this, try to view the problematic file again.

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Joey Camilleri
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks,

I don't think this is Dropbox issue as I had the same issue using Google Drive.

I will explore your recommendation. Thanks 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joey Camilleri Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    dylansays Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?