cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need for DOS-command to know if files are already synched

Need for DOS-command to know if files are already synched

jaap h.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hello all,

For a specific situation I have need to check for each file in the local dropbox folder if it's already been synched with the cloud or not.
I can LOOK with my eyes and check the Icon, but this doesn't work for me, because I have thousands of files per day.
So I do need to automate this. I want to automate it by writing a DOS-script.
But HOW do I READ the "synched"property of each file using DOS?
It seems obvious that the property is available to Windows, otherwise Explorer wouldn't be able to show the file with a synched-icon resp. not-synched-icon.

Questions I have (a.o.):
  1. What DOS-command(s) can I use to askout the value of the Dropbox property.
  2. What properties and values are available to read?
  3. Are there 3rd-party tools that can do this and that can be executed batchwise?
  4. Is there a way to alter properties using DOS-command (not a priority, but would be nice to have)?
Thanks for any help.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Thrakorzog, those commands are only available on the CLI Linux version of the app, and not Windows or Mac, which don’t provide CLI versions.

There isn’t any way to view the sync status of a file programatically.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There are no such commands. Dropbox uses an encrypted database on the local computer to store its information. There are no commands or utilities that can be used to access that information.

jaap h.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Rich,

Thanks for this information. A bit desillusional though, but understandable, seen from the viewpoint of Dropbox.

But tell me, if I can SEE in explorer the different types of icons, it looks to me that Explorer gets its information from "somewhere". As there is "an encrypted database" that is not accessible, how does Dropbox presents this information to explorer?

Grtz.,

Jaap

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Best guess, the Dropbox application itself handles it, likely by calling Shell32.dll and requesting one of the overlay icons that are registered in the Registry.

That being said, Dropbox has never made that information available. You would need to ask Support, though I doubt they will have an answer for you.

jaap h.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

OK Rich,

Clear that you are not sure about the way this is handeled by Dropbox, no problem.

Although, I already tried several time to get in touch with Dropbox, but everytime I got an automated reply to look for the answer in this forum. And I don;t know any other way aywmore to get in touch ...

As being a super user, you obviously must have additional ways to contact support.

Can you submit my issue with Support? If they don't have (or don't want to give) an answer, I'm sure they will let you know.

Thank you.

Grtz.,

Jaap

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

jaap h. wrote:

Clear that you are not sure about the way this is handeled by Dropbox, no problem.

Correct, which is why I said "best guess." What I am clear about though is that what you're looking to do cannot be done. People have even previously asked how to programmatically check the sync status using the Dropbox API, and the answer is always the same; "There isn't currently a way to query this information."

Can you submit my issue with Support?

No, I can't. You need to reply back to your open ticket and hope that it gets escalated.

jaap h.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hio Rich,

Very surprising that even you, being a Super USER has NO ACCESS to the DropBox support staff ....

Even more surprising is the fact that help from support seems to be a tombola of some sort. I can agree with waiting for a while, but this kind of lottery is new to me, and I don't think I like it.

You didn't state when the last time was that the answer "There isn't currently a way to query this information." was givven. So maybe there was some development and now the answer will be "there is a way".  Let's try to keep this positive.

So HOW do I increase my chances that SUPPORT will see this and will escalate?

grtz.,

Jaap

Thrakorzog
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a similar need.  I synchronize between boxes that are intermittently connected.

If the sync status could be read by a script, then I could launch my application with that script and wait for the sync to finish before actually launching my application so that I know it had the most up-to-date information in the file.

While this doesn't answer the question, I hope it gives a use-case as to why this is a legitimate ask.

]<

p.s., it looks like it is available under linux:
https://www.dropboxwiki.com/tips-and-tricks/using-the-official-dropbox-command-line-interface-cli

Thrakorzog
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Tried loading Python in Windows and running this utility to check the status, but I am certain it is looking to talk to dropboxd not dropbox.exe. 

> Dropbox.py status
Dropbox isn't running!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Thrakorzog, those commands are only available on the CLI Linux version of the app, and not Windows or Mac, which don’t provide CLI versions.

There isn’t any way to view the sync status of a file programatically.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Thrakorzog Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    jaap h. Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?