Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

One folder is not selectively syncing

Level 3

I've selectively synced a number of files and folders successfully. But, there is one that just won't get off of my computer. In Selective Sync, this folder is not checked. But, the folder and all of its files are still on my laptop. What to do?

9 Replies

Re: One folder is not selectively syncing

Super User II

Has Dropbox got to a green tick and finished the updates?

Do you have enough hard drive space?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. No, the two files don't have the green tick. I've used only 12GB of 1T available, so I have enough space. 

Any thoughts on what to do?

Dropboxer

At this point I'd suggest that you let your desktop app sync the changes you've applied @mapink!

You can even boost this process up by changing your bandwidth settings if needed.

On a side note, I think Mark was asking about your computer's hard drive space - not your accout't quota. 

In any case, if your issue persists, please share the desktop app's exact status in your next response so we can assist further!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

That makes sense, Walter, but I applied the changes days ago and its still not syncing. 

Yes, on my laptop hard drive I'm running out of space. That's why I want to move some older files to Dropbox. 

The app says I'm "up to date".

AA.jpg

Dropboxer

If it reports "up to date' you should be ready to go @mapink! In your screenshot (note that I hid your personal information for security purposes - I hope you don't mind), I can see the icon for selectively unsynced folders on two of your folders. Are the ones you mentioned other folders than those? 

Just keep in mind that Dropbox might not update your selective sync preferences if any of the following are true:

• Your hard drive is low on space
  • Files or folders are in use
  • You're using symlinks or referenced files
  • You have incorrect file permissions

A. Check your available hard drive space:

It's possible that there's no room to save the data that's necessary to update your selective sync preferences. To see if this is the case, check your available hard drive space. If your hard drive is very low on disk space, you may need to first make space available outside of the Dropbox folder.

B. Files or folders are in use:

Dropbox is not able to selectively sync folders if they (or the files they contain) are being used in other applications. To resolve this issue, close any applications that are accessing files in your Dropbox folder before attempting to update your selective sync preferences.

C. You’re using symlinks or referenced files:

We strongly recommend against methods that add referenced files (symlinks, junction points, or networked folders) to the Dropbox folder. In addition to interfering with updating Selective Sync preferences, reference files can cause high CPU usage, poor syncing performance, permissions issues, and space usage discrepancies.

D. Incorrect file permissions:

If files in your Dropbox don't have correct permissions, Dropbox may not sync them. 

These are all included in the following Help Center article in case you want to take a look:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/select-files-to-sync

Let me know what you find!

Walter

Level 3

Thanks very much for your input. I think I didn't explain the situation very well. I'm trying to get the two folders off of my harddrive and just resident on Dropbox because I'm running low on hard drive space. Therefore, I've unclicked the boxes so that the files will only be on Dropbox. 

There are no other applications using the files. 

I will take a look at the Help Center article. Thanks again. 

Dropboxer

Any updates on this one @mapink?

Walter

Level 3

No, unfortunately. A & B are not the issue. I'm afraid the Help Center article about symlinks and file permissions is over my head. I will have to hire help. Thanks. 

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that @mapink  - I could reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to work on this together if you like - just let me know here and we'll take it from there.

Thanks in advance and happy Monday!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

One folder is not selectively syncing
9 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post