cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening an MS Access file will create a duplicate file

Opening an MS Access file will create a duplicate file

Tristar1982
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Opening an MS Access file (e.g. Personal.accdb) on my Dropbox will create a duplicate file, where the original file is duplicated and a number added for each time I have tried opening the file (e.g. Personal1.accdb, Personal2.accdb, ...).

The original file is not updated and may result is obsolete data as I use a direct link to my Personal.accdb file in Dropbox.

Can anyone help me with that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tristar1982
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dear Jane & Mark,

thank you very much for both your help. I have a hunch it was more related to the Access database itself then Dropbox. For now (touch wood!) it works just fine, as it did in the past.

I ran some tests with the file stored locally (not on Dropbox) and it had a similar problem.

Anyway, thanks again for your time & effort! Much appreciated!

Have a nice evening!

Brgds,

Tristar1982

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Where and how are you trying to do this @Tristar1982?

We need more info I'm afraid - can you give us step by step instructions on how/where you are opening it?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tristar1982
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hello @Mark,

I’m Just trying to open via the local folder on my computer. Double click the file, and the original file does not open, but it creates a ‘...1.accdb’ version instead. The original file stays unchanged.

Is this sufficient information to replicate the issue?

Thanks a lot!
Tristar1982

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Nope - as that shouldnt happen! 

Have you installed Dropbox via www.dropbox.com/downloading and are not using any sort of mobile/tablet version?

Whats your OS?

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tristar1982
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello Mark,

I'm using Win10 64bit, latest updates installed. I have downloaded Dropbox directly from the site.

Odd thing is, it does not do so on another laptop, just tried it. Only this laptop and this file.

Brgds,
Tristar1982

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

That sounds like its something to do with Access itself (is it linked to other files that need relative links etc. which are now broken?)

Its also worth saying Access (or rather databases in general) and Dropbox are not a good combo!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@Tristar1982), if I may chime in on your discussion, I'd just like to elaborate a bit on Mark’s last comment, as we’ve previously discussed how you could best go about saving a database to Dropbox on the Community (though under a different conversation); please do let us know here in case you have more thoughts or questions & either me or Mark would happily further advise. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Tristar1982
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dear Jane & Mark,

thank you very much for both your help. I have a hunch it was more related to the Access database itself then Dropbox. For now (touch wood!) it works just fine, as it did in the past.

I ran some tests with the file stored locally (not on Dropbox) and it had a similar problem.

Anyway, thanks again for your time & effort! Much appreciated!

Have a nice evening!

Brgds,

Tristar1982

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Ah, glad to hear that you managed to resolve your concern on your end @Tristar1982! We’re always just a post away in case you have further inquiries or thoughts in the future, so don't hesitate to reach back out here at any time. Happy Dropboxing & I'm wishing you a lovely rest of your day ahead! 😊

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Tristar1982 Helpful | Level 5
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?