cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening files from Dropbox on Pages/Numbers/Keynote iPad apps

Opening files from Dropbox on Pages/Numbers/Keynote iPad apps

rjoyce87
New member | Level 2

I have the latest Dropbox App installed on an iPad Pro 2018 running iOS 12.1.4, as well as on my 2012 MacBook Pro.

When trying to open Numbers/Keynote/Pages files in those iPad apps from my Dropbox, I get the message that "file cannot be saved." (There is no issue on the MacBook.)

If I duplicate the file on my MacBook and save it to iCloud, the file will download and open on the iPad, so the issue seems to be the ability to pull from my Dropbox.

I've deleted and re-installed the Dropbox App, switched App Refresh on/off, and done a hard reset of the iPad. Any thoughts?

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi there, are you using WiFi or cellular data on the iPad when accessing those docs? Could you try a different network to see if this helps?

If not, are you able to open files directly from the Dropbox mobile app to then edit them in the other app? Have you updated the Numbers app and so on?

Any screenshot or extra info you can provide would be great!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rjoyce87
New member | Level 2

I'm attempting to open the files from WiFi; I've tried two different networks at this point. I've attached screenshots of what I see just before and after tapping the desired file.Error after tapping file.Error after tapping file.Before tapping file to open Keynote presentationBefore tapping file to open Keynote presentation

If I am in the Dropbox iOS app, I oddly can't open files into the respective iOS Pages/Numbers/Keynote app. If I export the file, I get the invalid file name message below; copying a link allows me to open the file, but creates a new file path that iOS auto-saves to iCloud.

Error message after exportingError message after exporting

The occasional file will download and open without a problem. The issue isn't characters in the file name, as some with parentheses, periods, or commas will open, and some without them will not open.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
It seems that you’re accessing the file via the iOS Files interface, which appears in Keynote in the left column there.

Could you try opening the iOS Files app directly, and then tap the files you want to download so that they’re local on your device in that app?

Afterwards could you try opening the file directly from Keynote to see if it loads?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

rjoyce87
New member | Level 2

I tried that, and from tapping on the files in the iOS Files Manager don’t produce anything — not even a download circle that won’t fill or even an error message saying that the file won’t open. (It won’t, also, allow me to view the file “info” accessed by pressing down on the file icon and tapping the black “info” box that pops up.)

As I’ve poked around more, I’ve noticed that some files are accessible and others aren’t, but I can’t see what the distinction is between them.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
So, the files can’t even be downloaded through the iOS Files app. 

Is there anything in common with the files that can’t be downloaded or opened? Are they in the same folder, path or contain similar characters in their file or folder names?

Are you able to offline the files on the Dropbox mobile app? Can the files then be exported to Keynote to preview in there?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

vfxwolf
New member | Level 2

Having the same issue on ipados 13.1. 

Cant open dropbox files from Keynote, Pages or Numbers..   can browse teh dropbox directory, see teh files - but tapping on one to download I get a spinning circle forever.  

I can open teh files in teh dropbox app, and then open in..  but I dont want to keep a local copy.

Michael V.33
New member | Level 2

I'm having very similar problems. Brand new iPad Pro, all latest software and ios. Can't open (large)Keynote files on iPad, neither via Dropbox direction nor via Keynote directly, even after data is ostensibly downloaded into Dropbox.

need Help, this is unworkable for me.

Thank you !

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Michael V.33, welcome to the community. Are you able to export the file to Keynote directly instead of opening it via Keynote or the iOS Files app?

As you’ve mentioned this is happening for large files, I’m assuming that smaller Keynote files work fine? How large are the files that you’re experiencing the issue with?

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Felipe Jodar
New member | Level 2
I'm having the issue here.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mahendra V. New member | Level 2
    Felipe Jodar New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Michael V.33 New member | Level 2
    vfxwolf New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?