Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Optimize upload/download speed to/from Dropbox using dbxfs

Level 2

I am using dbxfs on my Ubuntu server to mount Dropbox. The speed of copying a 100GB test file to/from the mounted directory is:

Upload: 1.3MB/s

Download: 27.8MB/s

My bandwidth is ~30MB/s both up and down. So, I am fine with the download rate, however the upload speed is too slow for me. Has anyone got similar or better results? I am looking for a way to optimize it.

1 Reply

Re: Optimize upload/download speed to/from Dropbox using dbxfs

Dropboxer

Hey there @munz - can you try changing the bandwidth settings somehow? 

If you were running the official desktop app, I'd suggest that you changed your bandwidth settings via: https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/faster-sync 

Note that our servers do not set caps on the upload or download speeds from the Desktop client, but file sync is a complicated process that includes more than just the transfer of the data. Please keep in mind each file is divided and compressed into hashed components, transferred via secure data transfer, and then encrypted and stored on our servers. During an upload, the transfer speeds are also dependent upon how quickly your computer can process and compress the components of the files to make them available for upload. 

[All of the Dropbox servers are located in the US and your connection speed to Dropbox depends on the routing you get between your ISP and our servers, and may be slower than your ISP's rated speeds. ]

Sometimes resetting or retrying your connection gets you a different route and better speeds, but that is outside of our control. Some ISPs also throttle sustained connections so if you see an initial high connection speed followed by lower speeds, that could be the reason.

Keep in mind that the Dropbox client will batch upload smaller files into batches of 800 files. If you have 800 * 1 kB files the effective batch that's sent to Dropbox will be 800 kB in size. You may commonly see this behavior when Dropbox first starts syncing as the client starts with smallest files first and then progresses to larger files.

Thus, the initial sync of your data is going to be the most time and resource intensive period. However, the more you use Dropbox the more efficient syncing becomes:

• Once you upload a file to Dropbox, you never need to upload it again.
  • When editing large files, the Dropbox app attempts to sync only the blocks of the file that have changed.

You can also check your connection speed through your ISP and local network by using the following link if needed: http://www.speedtest.net/

Please keep in mind that the actual sync speed you see may not match these speeds directly as we are including the hash, compression, and encryption process in our aggregate kB/s speed (this is kiloBYTE not kilobit).

Having said that and no matter how much I'd love to assist further (if needed), unfortunately, your setup may not meet the minimum requirements for the Dropbox application as listed below:  

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/system-requirements 

If you have any additional questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Optimize upload/download speed to/from Dropbox using dbxfs
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post