cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Perpetually "Syncing (3 files remaining)"

Perpetually "Syncing (3 files remaining)"

Mark G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I recently upgraded to a new iMac (IS X Yosemite Version 10.10.1) and transferred all my files, programs and settings from the Time Capsule backup from my older Mac.

Dropbox seemed to transfer fine, but the sync is perpetually "stuck" with the message "Syncing (3 files remaining)".

I have tried unlinking and re-establishing my connection to my Dropbox folder.
I have tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox.
I have tried the terminal file listed on the support page (sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox ~/.dropbox-master)
... and get the following error message.

chflags: /Users/mjgolden/.dropbox-master: No such file or directory
Marks-iMac:~ mjgolden$

Each time the same result: The same message about 3 files and the icon in the menu bar shows the syncing badge.

Any suggestions?

17 Replies 17

Eric N.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had this issue. Peter H's method fixed it. Thanks Peter.

Mac OS 10.10.3

Sky D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This thing drove me mad for months. At some point I tried the unlink/relink method but it didn't work.
While reading this thread and trying some tips, I clicked the tray icon, and then clicked the settings (gear wheel) icon on the top-right corner, which opens a popup menu.
After a few times, I realized there's a disabled menu line there, saying "Can't sync file X (access denied)". True enough, I couldn't even open the file from Window Explorer. I got the same "Access Denied" message.
Eventually, I:
- Rebooted into Safe Mode
- Moved the problematic files (I had 2 of 'em) out of the Dropbox folder
- Rebooted normally again, and
- Moved the files back into the Dropbox folder.
Problem solved, case closed.
I just had to sign-in and share my experience here. Hope this helps someone.

V. Vernon E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having the "Syncing (3 files remaining)" issue. I've done everything. Even reinstalled. I am not going to fiddle with the terminal. There's no reason an app should require that. If it's that flawed it needs to be fixed. Everything is green, so no way to find an errant file. If there's not an update, I'm dropping dropbox & just using my iCloud (Don't think the dropbox folks will lose any sleep over that.)

Joseph H.16
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

thanks Peter your the best

Jeffrey C.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

They can't fix it.  You have to fix it.

I did something similar to Peter.

Identify the problematic folder that syncs perpetually.

Set up a new folder, moves the files from the problem folder to the new folder.

The problem should go away.

Eleanor B.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

But how do I find the three "problem files"?  The greyed-out message in the status menu shows the partial title of one, but I can't find that file on my computer.

Robin Mary G.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Eleanor B, I did it by following the blue arrowed folders (rather than green checks) as above. Surprisingly and pleasantly easy. They were ONLY on my computer, not on the Dropbox.com site at all. Maybe yours are only on the website, not on your computer. (Hope that you have solved this problem before now, but it took me about 2 months! Thanks, Peter H.)

CanyonKid
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the help.  I also identified the files that were causing the trouble (in Mac OSX, in the finder, follow the blue 'syncing' symbol) and renamed the folder containing the files.  Problem solved.

Need more support?