cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Calling all Android users to try our new feature - Join now!

Problems Relocating Dropbox Folder to New Drive Using DB Application

SOLVED
6 Comments
3 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
a month ago

Problems Relocating Dropbox Folder to New Drive Using DB Application

My dropbox folder on one of my computers (PC) is on a portable harddrive (it has to be, for security purposes), and it's running out of space.  I've been using DB for 5+ years and relocated the dropbox folder many times without issue.  This is the first time it's been unsuccessive.

Note, I've been trying relocate my dropbox folder using the application process (Tools>Preferences>Account>Location>Move), however, it starts the move process, get to about 7% and then quits.  I've done this four times and on one occassion, I got an error message that was briefly visible  before the application quit, about a file name problem, so I went into the application and under selective syncing, removed that entire folder from my local dropbox location.  

This did not fix the problem.  I don't know how long the move process made this time before it quit, but in looking at the files copied over on the new target drive, I'd say about 6-8%.  I have approximately 500k files on DB that need to get properly moved over.

Is there a way I can do this without the move process?  Do I have to unlink the account (and will that result in a file loss) and then relink it?  What happens if I unlink the account and the relocation doesn't work?

Thank you for your assistance.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Super User
a month ago

Re: Problems Relocating Dropbox Folder to New Drive Using DB Application

The fact that you're using an external drive might be part of the issue. They've never been recommended for Dropbox and typically cause more problems than they're worth.

The move process in the app is the only way to move the folder without unlinking. If it's not working, then the only other method would be to unlink Dropbox from the computer, move the Dropbox folder to the new location, then relink Dropbox and point it to the new folder location when prompted. Pesonally, I'd do this as part of an uninstall/reinstall instead of just unlinking/re-linking. During the reinstall process there will be an Advanced Options link at the bottom of the window (it appears after entering your email and password) that will allow you to select the location of the Dropbox folder . Remeber to select the folder ABOVE your Dropbox folder or you might end up creating a Dropbox folder within your Dropbox folder. i.e. If you want it in D:\Files\Dropbox, you would select the Files folder when prompted.

6 Replies
Super User
a month ago

The fact that you're using an external drive might be part of the issue. They've never been recommended for Dropbox and typically cause more problems than they're worth.

The move process in the app is the only way to move the folder without unlinking. If it's not working, then the only other method would be to unlink Dropbox from the computer, move the Dropbox folder to the new location, then relink Dropbox and point it to the new folder location when prompted. Pesonally, I'd do this as part of an uninstall/reinstall instead of just unlinking/re-linking. During the reinstall process there will be an Advanced Options link at the bottom of the window (it appears after entering your email and password) that will allow you to select the location of the Dropbox folder . Remeber to select the folder ABOVE your Dropbox folder or you might end up creating a Dropbox folder within your Dropbox folder. i.e. If you want it in D:\Files\Dropbox, you would select the Files folder when prompted.

Level 2
a month ago

Thank you for your reply.  I feared that this might be the solution to my problem.  

As for your comment:

"The fact that you're using an external drive might be part of the issue. They've never been recommended for Dropbox and typically cause more problems than they're worth."

I can't agree with this at all.  Except for a laptop that has minimal storage capacity and thus is very selectively synced, I've never used anything BUT an external drive for my DB folder and I've never had an issue with them.  DB warns that files may get deleted if the drive is not available when the application starts, but given the rapidity in mounting drives on modern computers (USB3), this is never an issue

Super User
a month ago

Perhaps not for you, but it has been an issue for many, many people on the forums that have attempted it. Dropbox may have updated the help article to say it's possible and warn about possible issues, but it's still not supported.

Simply put, too many people have had problems when using Dropbox on an external drive. I, personally, would never trust it, and will always suggest against it because of the problems I've seen people have.

Level 2
a month ago

Thank you for your follow up reply.

Currently, Dropbox is not supported on NAS devices or network file share systems, as per this article.  However, while it's recommended that the DB folder be on the same drive as the operating system, the only concern that DB states for having on a separate drive is:

"Dropbox won't work correctly if the Dropbox folder becomes inaccessible, which can happen if it's located on an external drive that gets disconnected."

Not that it's unsupported.  Perhaps you are simply conflating NAS/network file share systems with an external drive.  However, again - I am very appreciative that you've taken the time to follow up on my issue.

Super User
a month ago

Lita K. wrote:

Perhaps you are simply conflating NAS/network file share systems with an external drive.

Nope. A contact within Dropbox stated as such back in June. That could have changed (yet again) but I've neither seen nor heard anything that would change that.

Level 2
a month ago

Thank you, but since it is impossible for me to locate my DB onto an internal drive, the issue is moot. I will deinstall/reinstall the application and relocate the DB folder that way.