cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore all affected files in bulk

Restore all affected files in bulk

johnny10
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

One of our computers got infected by ransomware and it encrypted a lot of dropbox files on that machine which were then updated to the entire dropbox. I know how to manually find the old version of each file but it's taking a long time to do them one at a time. Is there a restore point option to go back to how all the files were prior to the event taking place? I have sent in a ticket/request to Dropbox support but it looks like it will take 24-48 hours to get a response. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
In the case of an encryption event like that, working with Support and having them roll back your account is really the best option.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/9217#encrypted

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
In the case of an encryption event like that, working with Support and having them roll back your account is really the best option.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/9217#encrypted

johnny10
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Trying to get support to help at all seems about as easy as just manually restoring the files myself. I gave them the date of the event I wanted the account rolled back to (when the event started), they said everything should be in working order and yet the only files that have actually changed are the ones I restored manually. Extremely frustrating.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
What is your ticket number?

johnny10
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Ticket Number 5388307

johnny10
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
After providing multiple event links and explaining with great specificity that what I want is a full dropbox account roll back there has been no resolution from support. I continue to get nothing but answers that "my requested files have been restored" however this is simply not true. For the rollback to work all of the encrypted file versions would be gone out of my dropbox. It doesn't matter if I look on the desktop version or web version the encrypted files are still there and the previous files aren't. I know this because I have checked individual folders using the deleted trash can feature to see which files were deleted in the last 30 days. There are around some 5,000 documents that would need to be manually restored and the same number deleted (though deleting is easier since all files have an .osiris extension and I could do that in one swipe from the desktop). There seems to be a huge disconnect in what support is attempting to provide and what I am asking for.

johnny10
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Once I got a different support agent the problem was resolved immediately.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Thanks for the update. I had pointed this thread out to a contact within Dropbox, and they asked someone to take a look.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    johnny10 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?