cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync and aTerminal/Command Line

Smart Sync and aTerminal/Command Line

stickzh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I find the Smrt Sync interesting. But I work on a mac and most of the time from within Terminal and command line processing. What wil happen if I attempt to access a file that is not local, I guess the directory listing will show that it exists but it will be empty, or does some helper actuaky go and get it if I do that.
Guessing not 😞

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @stickzh - interesting question!

If you find (and click on) the file you'd like to access through a command via your terminal it should be downloaded locally (thus being recalled). Could you walk me through the steps you take and provide more information if that's not the case? 

Additionally, note that many processes on your machine look at files that you may have not manually opened and in order to fulfill these requests from these processes Dropbox syncs the files. Examples of this include:

• Backup services
  • Antivirus
  • Recently used file lists
  • Third party applications that monitor files in general. 

If a file has been synced locally that you would prefer to have online-only, simply right click on it and select online-only from the Smart Sync menu.

I hope this information helps to some extent and please keep me posted on your progress.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @stickzh - interesting question!

If you find (and click on) the file you'd like to access through a command via your terminal it should be downloaded locally (thus being recalled). Could you walk me through the steps you take and provide more information if that's not the case? 

Additionally, note that many processes on your machine look at files that you may have not manually opened and in order to fulfill these requests from these processes Dropbox syncs the files. Examples of this include:

• Backup services
  • Antivirus
  • Recently used file lists
  • Third party applications that monitor files in general. 

If a file has been synced locally that you would prefer to have online-only, simply right click on it and select online-only from the Smart Sync menu.

I hope this information helps to some extent and please keep me posted on your progress.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

pierreboulez
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i'm trying to access files on a remote machine through ssh. the files there are "smart synched" meaning they're online only. i would expect dropbox to downoad the files when i try to do scp or cp the files in the terminal, but i keep getting Input/output errors and assume the files are still not downloaded from dropbox server. 

is there a way to force dropbox to download said files?

thank you

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @pierreboulez; thanks for joining our discussion here; how are you today?

I'm sorry to let you know that this won't be possible at this time as a Dropbox folder on a computer should not be accessed from a remote location or a different profile whatsoever. 

You can take a look at this discussion as well for more information on the matter.

That said, I'm always a post away if you have any more questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

ColombianJoker
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Did you resolve this? did you tried using "cat /some/dropbox/online/file.ext" just before trying to copy de file?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ColombianJoker Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    pierreboulez New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?