cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync set to Online Only but still taking up storage.

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm really confused, the premise of smart sync is to free up local storage. This is a screenshot of a folder which contains about 2GB of data.  Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjd34t39t0q7312/Screenshot%202017-02-18%2012.03.41.png?dl=0

128 Replies 128

HoosierRon
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The attached photo shows:

• My computer is running 10.12.3
  • The folder RHLO admin is set to Online Only
  • My computer thinks it is taking up 96.8 MB

Thanks for trying.DB2.jpg

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If you want to submit a ticket via /Support I'll happily have a look into this for you?

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ross, as you mentioned a message was sent this morning for the explicit attention of Luke and the usual patronising and disconnected auto response has been sent back by a colleague called Melina. No attempt was made to understand what I had wrote or to clearly see that this needed to be passed on. This is why I don't contact support.  See response below to ticket 5676210 for Dropbox Business support.

She went back to the very beginning to explain the difference between smart sync and selective sync 😞

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 12.28.32.png

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks Fowzie, now I have that ticket I'll take the case over and we'll see what you and I can do here to get this resolved.

I'll reach out to you on that ticket.

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Fantastic 🙂 it's great to have some expert help.

SteveA
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm also on 10.12.3 and still have the same issue. While I agree that there are 0 bytes actually on my harddrive, if the system thinks that the file is taking up space, the result is the same -- lack of space.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Ok, then I'll send you an email SteveA, lets get this fixed for you, we want to make sure you enjoy using the feature!

RobertJF
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If it's useful to hear another example - I just was added to a new folder on my team that was set to cloud only - it still has the cloud only symbol but immediately finder was reporting that it took up around 30GB of space - too quick for 30GB to have been downloaded. This is also not a hard link vs symlink problem that is cosmetic. I just hard linked via terminal a 20GB file and the hard link says in finder that the "size" is 20GB. However, in the volume information, the free space did not decrease by 20GB since the hard link is simply a kind of "pointer" to the same sectors on disk. Dropbox is essentially doing whatever the hard drive version of "malloc" is, and then not actually putting any bytes there.

dropinthebucket
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ross -- I'm having some issues with smart sync as well as a business user.  I have been trying for the better part of two months to get assistance on the issue with DB phone support.  I have a ticket number.  I was once told to restart my computer to resolve the issue -- and secondly told to reinstall as an admin.  Both options have failed.  I'm at dead end.  Can you please provide me advanced assistance?

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks, I've reached out to you too @dropinthebucket
Need more support?